Thread: Don't do what I did! (Where to put your Tablet when drawing)

Gallery
    View images

Don't do what I did! (Where to put your Tablet when drawing)

It really matters where you put your Tablet. I didn't know, and I spent a week and a half doing really crappy lineart before I figured it out.

Bad: Your lap, soft surfaces.
    A drawing made on a bad surface. (With my wacom in my lap, sitting in bed.)
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...estwip_169.jpg
    I struggled with every line for a minute or two.

Good: Hard and steady surfaces.
    The same drawing with most lines redrawn on a good surface. (Still sitting in bed, but with the wacom placed on a really big, thick and heavy book.)
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...stwip2_112.jpg
    I erased and redid most of the lines within two minutes or less.

Thanks for reading.

Gallery
    View images
    Good tip, Alvekatt!

Here is another one: Use a lectern or an inclined plane to place your tablet.

I use my tablet directly on my computer desk. However, I find that placing it on an incline plane helps me draw better, as the angle emulates a drawing table and helps me draw by holding the pen in a "brush fashion" (as opposed to the way we hold pens to write).

My "lectern" is not really a lectern, but a drawing board with hinges originally designed as a drawing board and as a lectern to place books on and reading without straining one's neck. I bought it a long time ago at uni... I re-discovered its value to me just a couple of months ago.

Jeff

Gallery
    View images
    i have my tablt sitting in my draw which is open abit, will post photo tomorrow
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Hello,

I am new around here and to 'computer art', and am glad to have read your tips here. I have been holding my tablet on my lap and I get wrist ache from clenching my hand to control the line lol.

So I shall be glad to try the hard surface to see how that works
    Also, I have never heard of a lectern ops: and wondered if you could show me a picture of one or suggest how I might make one?
    I can imagine that working on a slightly raised surface would help too!

Good suggestions, thanks.
    Rowena.

Gallery
    View images
    Ok i said i'd post a new pic hee you go as you can see i hold the wacom pen in my right hand as my arm is stright and where the tablet is was the only place i could put it to do my work
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Here's my solution to the tablet pc angle conundrum...

In this pic, you see it configured for use on a tripod. That's why I have the artist's palette slotted in at the front. Normally when I'm at my desk, I don't slot the palette in. But the keyboard and mouse are standard accompanying dishes.

The tablet all alone on the easel is a bit lacking. I find that I need the keyboard for ArtRage keyboard shortcuts. And for easy entry of file names. Tablet entry works, but it takes too much time under pressure. The mouse is useful for navigating around outside of ArtRage. Things like web pages and such.

Here's a look at the two items side-by-side, showing the tablet in laptop mode, and the easel waiting for inspiration to strike.

I've sawn bits and pieces off the easel, simply to make it fit in my bag for when I fly to Visual Facilitation gigs. (http://snipurl.com/visualfacilitation)

I find that this configuration really suits my needs. And because it's all adjustable, it's very friendly on the neck and back.

If you look for a table easel, I would suggest good art shops. I've seen similar ones to these at Herbert Evans in Joburg. And I got mine from a fleamarket -- the Rosebank Fleamarket, to be precise.

Things to look out for...

o It needs to be portable, and therefore, foldable flat.

o It needs to have sticky-outy-bits that can be sawn off to save space.

o The BACK sticky outy bits need to be fairly long, specifically for when you have your angle closer to horizontal than vertical... the centre of gravity takes over at that point. DON'T saw them off! And be sure to test it with your tablet pc BEFORE you purchase or saw anything.

o Light and small are your friend if you're lugging these things around to coffee shops and onto planes like I do.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E