ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pressure Sensitivity 3

Gallery
    View images

Pressure Sensitivity 3

Hello,

I recently am trying out artrage again after the 2.5 release and while it seems to work fine on my tabletpc, I can't get the pressure sensitivity to work on my desktop using a Wacom Cintiq 21ux. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit and have installed the latest wacom drivers.

I have tried everything in the other two threads on pressure sensitivity including deleting the .prs file, reinstalling my tablet driver, and checking the "mouse mode" setting (although in my version of artrage it seems to be called "precise tablet mode?"), resetting the brushes to default settings, and sampling the canvas to reset the alpha settings.

The problem I have is that with the slightest touch to the screen, any tool maxes out pressure wise immediately. There is no way to control the thickness or quality of line because it just acts as if you are pressing as hard as possible all the time even if the pen is barely touching the screen. I have even tried adjusting the firmness setting in my wacom driver but nothing seems to work. I'm not sure what the problem is as I have many graphics apps installed and pressure sensitive drawing works well in all of them (photoshop cs3, painter X, and alias sketchbook pro 2.0).

Any help on this matter would of course be appreciated as I am intrigued by the possibilities of artrage but cannot practically use it in a pressure crippled state.

schroder

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for that.
    FYI - ArtRage 2.5 uses the Windows Ink Services interface for tablets under Vista - we find it gives a snappier response than the Tablet Packets Wintab interface. But if the Wacom drivers dont yet support Ink Services with the Cintiq, it wont work.
    We're looking into it.

Can anyone else confirm this problem? Is anyone else using a Wacom Cintiq under Windows Vista and not seeing any pressure support?
    We wont have access to a 21" Cintiq until after the weekend, so I'd appreciate any feedback anyone else can give.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Here's a note from the Wacom driver downloads site:
    "The Vista features "Flicks" and "Press-and-hold-to-right-click" are disabled in most graphics (Wintab) applications in order to improve drawing performance in these applications when those features are on.

There's no pressure sensitivity in Journal and other Vista Ink features when both, "Flicks" and "Press-and-hold-to-right-click" are disabled in the Vista "Pen and Input Devices" control panel. This is a workaround for spurious double-clicks issued by Vista under that setting. "
    You might try messing with those settings inside the Wacom control panel to see if any arcane combination of those settings gives back pressure support under Vista Ink Services.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have a wacom....but I have a trust tablet and a new PC complete with windows vista 32bit and my tablet doesn't work properly... :cry: I have the same problem as above Artrage just isn't detecting the pressure of my pen.....it just does it full pressure all the time.....It worked ok with Xp... :roll:
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images
    The short answer is that this is probably a driver problem with the Trust tablets.
    Under Windows Vista, ArtRage first checks for the existence of the InkServices interface to tablet drivers. If it exists, ArtRage uses it. If it doesn't exist, ArtRage falls through to using the WinTab interface.
    If a tablet driver implements an imcomplete interface to Windows InkServices, then pressure support may well be lost inside ArtRage.

Make sure you have the latest drivers from your tablet manufacturer.
    Some hardware vendors are still catching up with Vista support, so it might just be a case of 'wait and see'.
    We know ArtRage works correctly with Wacom tablets under Vista, using InkServices.

Gallery
    View images
    I've tried the latest driver but it's for a different model and it really doesn't work very well with mine so I'll just go back to using the mouse until I can get my hands on a Wacom..... :lol: Thanks very much for the advice
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy, I played with the settings a bit and you are correct, either pen flicks or press and hold to right click must be enabled in order for the pressure to work. I disabled both because they would occasionally pop up when I was drawing in photoshop and painter which irritated me. For anyone else who might have this problem I have found that turning on pen flicks and setting it to the highest precise setting got rid of most accidental flick activations and allowed me to get pressure sensitivity in ink service programs such as artrage.

Great advice, thanks again.

schroder

Gallery
    View images
    Oh Bril'! Thanks for reporting back on that. That was a huge worry for me - we've been trying to get the Wacom people here to do some testing for us.