ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endless forest

Endless forest

I got this irresistable urge to draw my deer charachter in the MMORPG Endless Forest.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums..._05810_508.jpg

http://www.tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/ (Oooh wow! New version with new features available. Bounce Bounce!)

I am using screenshots as Reference. I am considering whether I should make up a fur pattern or if I should wait with drawing the furpattern until I have found a new one. (I accidentally lost the nice one I had gotten when I stood in the lake and wondered what that new button that appeared did. It made the deer wash off the fur pattern in the lake, resetting it to the default simple one you start with.)

What do you think? Design my own fur pattern or wait with drawing it till I find a nice new one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	endlessforestwip_169.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	8826  

Reminds me a little of Miasakl's Princess Mononoki -- the spirit of the forest. It was like a stag and I think, if I recall correctly that he had a face a bit like this. More than just a stag in the face. . . I recall it looked just a wee bit human.

Anyway, all that aside, I really like your drawing and choice of characters.

I look forward to more.

It actually says in thir FAQ that the concept artist of the Endless forest production team is a die hard fan of Miyazaki. I don't blame her. You can actually find a mask in the game that make the face very reminicent of the forest god in Princess Mononoke

Thanks for the kind words! Did you read the post where I tell about my discovery about where you should put your Wacom?
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...p?t=7899#59756

I didn't clean my desk, but I found a workaround. (Websters third new international dictionary, unabridged. I bought it cheap on a booksale. It's way too big and heavy for everyday use. I just thought it would be really cool to have such an insanely huge book in my bookshelf. Well, now I got a use for it.)

AND LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE! I erased and redrew most lines in less than two minutes!

Name:	endlessforestwip2_112.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	8845  

And now for what I think is the hardest and most time consuming part. To make the horns look uniform...

Edit: I guess you can see how I work now. Beginning is a rough sketch, then as the image progresses I add details while constantly revisioning old lines to make perpective and anatomy make more and more sense.

Name:	endlessforestwip3_209.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	8869  

I stopped feeling inadequate and started from scratch on a bigger Endless forest projekt instead. I'll do my darndest to match the best of that forumthread I linked to in my last post. Now I know my colouring skills are far from what I need to match that. But that won't stop me from trying! And I think I actually can match their best designs and sense of anatomy, with some hard work.

If any of the skilled artists on this forum wants to teach me a thing or two about colouring I'd be happy indeed! That water colour sim that Fashmir taught me and that I used for the nebula and the fur of the cat is cool. But it gets a bit repetetive and I don't know if it's the best choice for this. There must be more techniques for getting interesting results!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You seem to think like an animator. And this is what animators do:

Check out a book on animating animals or animal anatomy and carefully study it.

I would recommend, for the type of work you're interested in, getting to where you lay in the important bits at this stage. Shoulders, hips and direction of the limbs is a specific thing. It'll allow you to pose an animal in any way and free you up to where you can move any animal around in your head. Where you can pick the pose you want out of your mind's eye and do it before the next guy's coffee mug hits his desk.

You're doing great!

D Akey: I am not sure what you mean but I think that's what I am doing. You're probably right about me thinking as an animator, though it's not a job I would ever want. (It must be so very tedious, making image after image with just slight variation from the last one...)

Anyway. I now feel I want to finish both versions. I converted my ingame Pictogram into a stencil. I'm going to use it with both deer although at least the newer version will have completely custom horns and pelt. (Your name in the game is a unique randomly generated Pictogram that you choose when creating your charachter. You have no name made from letters.)

Here's a new WIP shot of the newer deer. (The image is much bigger, with room for a background, but I rescaled and cropped the Jpeg WIP version.) The Pictogram has allready been added in. (I really wanted to try out the stencil.)

Added the beginnings of a face. It gave me real trouble until I realized that the helplines I had added before just didn't make sense. Then I wondered why I had drawn helplines, I have never used them before. I don't know how to use them. I allways just did the face and redid it until it made sense. It wasn't until I gave up the helplines that I started to get close to the result I want. I'm getting close but I'm thinking of making him look more downwards.

Edit: I found some nifty references for horns using a fractal generator.

Name:	endlessforestwiparss_139.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	8923  

I was stuck for the longest time when trying to think of a design for the antlers and a way to do it. But now I have gotten started, and I think I'm on to something antlerwise. The nightmare is to mirror the antler for the other antler...

Also, I fixed the ears. They needed fixing.