Thread: Kung Fu

Kung Fu

I actually got the idea from ÄlveKatt adding a ninja to this thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...?p=59553#59553

I checked the forums and there are some monks, and Wushu-style stuff. I'm hoping to end up with something *way* different.

Can someone give me advice on how to make the left arm look better? If not, how about the left hand?

I also think the right fist needs to be larger. I'll work on that... any tips for me until then?

Oh, and it's 1600x1200 so make sure to zoom in so you can see my mangled left arm and hand. :?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kung_fu_426.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	8811  

Gallery
    View images
    The arms look kind of short. If you look at yourself you should notice that your elbows pretty much reach your waist when you angle them to your body. If you are using yourself as reference, remember to keep your back straight and your body weight centered and balanced to get the right martial artist master feel.

When It comes to the hands I should probably let someone who doesn't struggle with just the hands for as long as the rest of an image takes answer...

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, and if you intended to use my Ninja image as reference I strongly advice against it. That image was done in less than five minutes, and while I usually can figure out how different poses work I certainly can't do it in five minutes...

Aaah.

Quote Originally Posted by ÄlveKatt
    The arms look kind of short.
    Ah, I see that now. I was thinking it was only the right fist, but I see now.

I'll put them on a new layer and make them bigger.

If you look at yourself you should notice that your elbows pretty much reach your waist when you angle them to your body.
    I have extremely long arms and my elbows reach the bottom of my ribcage. Then again, my Oma always called me an "ora-utan" (sp?). German for orangutan.

If you are using yourself as reference, remember to keep your back straight and your body weight centered and balanced to get the right martial artist master feel.
    The straighter I keep my back, the farther up my torso my elbows go.

Again, I need a normal human as reference.

When It comes to the hands I should probably let someone who doesn't struggle with just the hands for as long as the rest of an image takes answer...
    Heh, I feel you on that note! I drew that left hand ten+ times before I said screw it, post it to the WIPs and ask for help.

Oh, and if you intended to use my Ninja image as reference I strongly advice against it. That image was done in less than five minutes, and while I usually can figure out how different poses work I certainly can't do it in five minutes...
    Nope, not as reference. Just your Ninja sparked a martial artistic painting.

Thanks for your tips and help.

Gallery
    View images
    Well, he looks very stable and grounded. Would be hard to push him over.

Those legs definitely are his primary weapon based on the way he looks.

Exaggeration works in some contexts to emphasize the aspect you want the character to be known by, or to look heroic or smart or gluttonous or sexy.

It's about what you choose to draw out eye to and how you stage it.

And you should (and do) listen to every comment just to get a different look at your work. Sometimes you will agree and sometimes not. But it helps us to get outside our focus on the mechanics of doing the art.

Fun stuff.