ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Merge Group Contents with an Image Layer Crashes Every time.

Merge Group Contents with an Image Layer Crashes Every time.

Steps to recreate:

1. Create a Group.

2. Multiple layers in that Group.

3. Import Image to Layer.

So, you have numerous layers and an Image Layer...

4. Merge Group Contents.

5. It begins to Merge Contents then...

ArtRage crashes everytime with the standard Windows "ArtRage has experienced blah blah and must now shut down."

6. *THEN* after dismissing that dialog, I expected ArtRage to shut down, no, instead it continues with its Merging Group Contents dialog, hits 100% *THEN* ArtRage closes.

Windows XP SP2 using a Graphire4.
    Intel Pentium III, Mobile Processor 1.06GHz with 1 Gigabytes of RAM, 8 Megabytes shared.

When you import the layer, are you adding it to the group, or are you adding it outside the group?
    What size (width and height) is your canvas in pixels?

When ArtRage crashes, it tries to write out an emergency project file, called ARRestart.ptg
    You will find that in
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2

So when you get a crash, you may be able to save your data by reloading that painting file (and then saving under a different name!)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    When you import the layer, are you adding it to the group, or are you adding it outside the group?
    I wasn't even sure that was possible. Er, wait... I guess I didn't make that clear?

I had all these layers at one point in time by themselves. Same with the Image Layer. Then I said, "Hey, let me try this Group thing out."

So I made a Group and dragged all the relevant layers and the Image Layer into it.

What size (width and height) is your canvas in pixels?
    1024x678. Yes, by 678. I have a Quick Launch toolbar double its normal height. So my "available screen width" is a good 90 pixels less (evidently).

When ArtRage crashes, it tries to write out an emergency project file, called ARRestart.ptg
    You will find that in
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2

So when you get a crash, you may be able to save your data by reloading that painting file (and then saving under a different name!)
    That's good to know! Luckily I am religious about saving before any major (or at least what I consider major) operation. So, I had a nice copy right before the crash. Nothing was lost.

Do you need any more information?

I haven't managed to reproduce this crash here yet.
    Can you create the layer stack the way you think it will cause a crash, and save out the painting file. Then do the merge and see if it crashes. If it does, start ArtRage again, load that painting file and try the merge again. If it crashes again can you zip up the painting file and Email it to:
    andy@ambientdesign.com

Then give me exact instructions for how you're doing the 'merge group' function so I can reproduce it here.

Hopefully I can reproduce this one!

Weird.

Weird stuff all around. I've sent you an e-mail. Hopefully you can read through my garbled mess.

Thanks for your patience.

Dewd, you rock!
    Thanks for that - the file crashed perfectly when I merged the group, and that instantly showed where the problem was.
    I really appreciate your help on this.
    Another nasty little bug nailed!

The fix will be in the next patch release of ArtRage, due out soon.

: )

Marvelous. I'm glad I could be of some assistance.