ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Caribbean Sunset

Caribbean Sunset

This is how I'm doing for now. I did this based on a picture I took when I was in Curaçao last summer...a beautiful sunset and big rocks. The water needs lots of details, and it's my second work EVER so please give me good advices on how to add details to the water or anything
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carsutest_165.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	8784  

Hi, i can't help you on the water as my style is a different one and i'm not professional for this kind of paintings. But what i can tell you: You did a great work up to here. I like the color-selection. I'm really waiting for your next steps on it.

Thank you very much!! I'm glad you like the colors! I didn't know if they were ok as I'm not an expert in any kind of painting and I like to do a bit of everything, but good comments are very helpful for me!
    Thanks a lot Bugfix

ps: Now I added some colors to give more details to the rocks, I think it's going ok, and I can't wait either!

I think there are so many ways to paint the water that it's hard to say to do it one way or the other.

You can never go too far wrong teaching yourself to observe. As an artist, you need to be able to look at something and analyze it for what makes it look like it does.

Use reference. There's an infinite supply of pictures of oceans on the internet and books and magazines. There are also lots of books on how to paint this kind of subject.

You have to ask yourself how detailed you want to get. What kind of ocean it is (choppy, windy, white caps, placid, and so on). Each carries its own signature.

You could knock it in boldly, or you could take a long time to get every subtlety.

I think the question is too open ended to expect many responses. And telling you would not communicate what you need to know. You need to look at some specific reference and tackle that image.

Later, when you have a few of them under your belt, you will be able to get more inventive, because you will know what one does to achieve a result. And you do that, and you have a convincing seascape.

Right now it says water because of the context. But there's so much you can do to make it visually interesting and appealing.

Hello D Akey, thanks for your info.
    I have a reference picture (the original picture I'm trying to recreate), and I try to apply that effect to the water but it can't quite get it right. I'll look into online tutorials for painting water and I'll keep trying until I succed
    By the way, here's the original picture if it helps somewhat; that's the water I'm trying to achieve.
    Attached Images Attached Images