ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ready for embarrasment

Ready for embarrasment

Hello everyone! I've never been an artist (at least not when it comes to drawing or painting), and I have to say I love everything you all do...you guys have and incredible skill to draw and paint...I wish I had that talent. I've always loved to draw, but unfortunately I'm not good at all But I think it's never too late to learn, and by looking at the paints in the gallery and hearing about Artrage, I couldn't have more enthusiasm to learn how to draw like you guys do.
    So anyway, here's my first work EVER. I know it's grainy and not very well painted, but I know you'll give me good advices and critique that will help me improve with time.

This picture shows a Peak called "El Diablo de Tandapi" which means "The Devil of Tandapi", a legendary peak in Ecuador, my homeland. Behind the peak, in the background, you can appreciate Lake Yaguarcocha (Yaguar means lake, Cocha means blood, hence Lake of the Blood) and then you have the valley of Chota. My focus here was the clouds...did my best as a newbie. Flying around the peak you'll see two condors, the most respected births in the skies of the Andes Mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloudy_634.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	8756  

Happy welcome jacf182

For a first time painting, this piece is very good....fist i thought it just to flat, but after reading your post exactly i can see the lake and the land behind the peak (the blueish in the distance is very good, creates alot of deep). it's like i sit in an airplane...

Some tips right here:
    -Your sun stands really high, in this case you could add some shadows on the peak (creates more contrast)

-You haven't much details on the peak yet (that's not always a bad thing :wink: ), this could simple (is not a must to detail it out) be created by adding some soft color changes...

-The brown is very unnatural (if you wanna do a realistic piece), try to add also a bit of blue!

-Another light suggestion: Try maybe some sunset scenes with dark shadows and strong contrasts...

I bet you get alot of fun and excitement....

Go on

Greez
    -
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Thanks Maror!
    Thank you very much for this advices, I'll get to work on these things right away and give my painting more detail! I'm lucky I didn't get thrown away for posting that painting though

jacf, no one here is going to ridicule you for wanting to make images. Quite the contrary. You aren't the first to come here with a limited skill set, no experience and a lack of confidence. (see the FooManChu thread in the Gallery)

Your first ever image is only a first attempt ... and a pretty darn good one. If you have the desire and determination to keep on trying, you'll be surprising yourself in a short time. I hope you will.

I know nobody would make fun of my paintings, hehe I just wrote it as a joke
    Thanks Robert for encouraging me, with practice I know I'll paint like you someday (you do impressive things!!!!!!!!!!)
    I'm already improving this painting and am working on a new one which is not going bad at all! I'll post them pretty soon

Good good.