ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: process

process

ok, i've been perusing the forum, and i see a lot of great process posts, that show how the artist achieves their look from beginning to end. i thought i'd add my two cents. i begin by loading my reference image, and doing a very light sketch with the airbrush set to 2%. this doesn't have to be perfect. in the next step you'll see why.

sorry, forgot the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

then i change the paper colour, and add highlights where needed. then i take the pallette knife and mess up all of the contours. (sorry for the brevity of this process, i made it on my lunch, and couldn't take the time to show every tiny little step.)

then i increase the airbrush size to around 4% and redraw those elements i want exentuated in the final piece.

then i lay down the basic colours using thick daubs of paint. again, this doesn't have to be perfect. i'm just looking for the general tones of that region of the painting.

here's where it gets time consuming. i then build the detail of the colours up a little at a time. one layer at a time. i think this one took about seven layers (i forgot to have the layer pallette open when i took the screen). after this i usually spash some background colour in with the roller tool. to see all of the layers of paint at once, you have to play around with the layer opacity quite a bit.

then i open it up in photoshop. (sorry if this is cheating) i merge all of my painting layers except the first one that i made. i adjust the saturation. blur my lowest paint layer with a gaussian blur. apply the water paper filter, and play around with the blending modes of each layer until i'm happy with the result. sorry i'm so short on details, but if you want more specifics, pm me and i can answer ?'s thank you for your time.

Very good tutorial sosuke!!!

Ian
    ha...whatever...

Software: ArtRage WACOM Edition, ArtRage2
    Hardware: WACOM - volito2

sosuke- Thanks for the insight into your working process. You do a great job of capturing your subject's likeness. Beautiful child, you are blessed.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

thats brilliant sosuke

the picture and tutorial, thanks fo rthe insight

:lol: