ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage 2.5 may yet be what I'm looking for!!!

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage 2.5 may yet be what I'm looking for!!!

About a few months back when I decided to buy my first tablet pc (with vista pre-installed and all), I became interested in art softwares. Since I am a lover of all things that is art and an ok artist myself, I started looking for that one software that could perhaps satisfy my needs.
    You see, what I was looking for was an art software that would allow me to do personal comic books that would allow me to put my wild imagination down. And in order to make comic books, you need a ruler--to draw panels and frames and what not--you need talking bubble baloons, and etc....
    Now, at first, ArtRage didn't have that, but of course by no means is this not a super great software already. Such a marvelous job the ArtRage developers did, and at such a great and affordable price, too. I have to give them props for that.

Well,as I was shopping around, the two other art softwares that caught my eyes were eFrontier's Manga Studio 3.0 and Autodesk Alias Sketchbook pro 2. But the problems with these two is that the former is too simple that it is almost an upgraded Paint software with some nice manga bred shadings, and the latter is way too expensive for its own good.
    And the only thing I liked the most about Sketchbook Pro 2 over ArtRage 2 is its marvelous pencil feature and its smearing effect--which ArtRage 2 did not have at the time I purchased it.

But now that ArtRage 2.5 came out (which I accidentally found out by surprise), it has some new features that do really make my dream of making personal--hobby-driven--comic books come alive once again. Now that it has a ruler function and the stencil utility in it, I might be able to limit the amount of things I have to do to just a few softwares, rather than using just a bit more softwares than I would have liked.

It is the little touches like these that makes all the difference. Thanks for the new upgrade--ArtRage 2.5--because the truth is, I've always loved to use ArtRage over the other art programs out there. It just has this friendliness to it that I just can't put my finger on, but it is there nevertheless. ArtRage developers, somehow I get the feeling that you are true lovers of art, or just love making art. Otherwise, you wouldn't have made this so cool, friendly, inviting, and at such a low price--compare to the likes of Sketchbook pro 2.

I would like to ask a question though: Will there be more add-ons regarding the stencils utility or is it possible to create your own stencils? Because I would like to have or make more comics stencils.

Thank you.

Gallery
    View images
    you can create your own stencils !!!

any picture can be made into a stencil
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Hi,

yes, you can easily create your own stencils. Just draw it on a layer (or import it if you made it in a different application like Photoshop etc.) and just open the menu of the layer palette. There you find "Make a stencil from this layer" - it´s as simple as that

Marco

Gallery
    View images
    I never import stencils, I just put them in Artrages stencil directory.

Works great. As long as they don't get overwritten or something in an update... But I don't know if that would happen. Would it?

Gallery
    View images
    nope.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images
    Cool thanks guys, I'll be sure to try your advices out.

Much obliged.

Gallery
    View images
    Not only that, you could even make up some templates for your rectangles that make up the page -- page layout stuff.

Make a bunch in black and white and you have it any time the shapes suit you.

You can do any numbers of balloons for dialog that you can re-use.

Essentially any of the repetitive things would be great candidates for that.

And depending on what level you're planning on working, you can re-use backgrounds and so forth.

Only thing I would caution you against is getting bogged down doing all these things and then feeling you have to use them exclusively (if you still have any creativity left after the boredom of building stencils forever and ever). That could really stifle your creativity and you would become more of an archivist rather than an artist.

So make stuff as it comes up naturally in the course of your creative process -- of your story, and file them for later use also. They will or will not prove useful -- all depends on your working process. But you will have had your initial use of it and that should be enough.

The short answer is "Yes".

Gallery
    View images
    Sweet as a coated candy!!!
    I finally know how to make my own stencils.
    Oh the possibilities are endless--regarding stencils, of course.

ArtRage 2.5 is a very nice upgrade, and I now have everything I need in one single software. How sweet is that.

If there are any more cool tips anybody would be happy to share, please feel free to do so.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey

Only thing I would caution you against is getting bogged down doing all these things and then feeling you have to use them exclusively (if you still have any creativity left after the boredom of building stencils forever and ever). That could really stifle your creativity and you would become more of an archivist rather than an artist.
    I've just run out of the first rush to do that. making stencils was as much fun as using them. Good advice.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.