Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Oh you did it on a computer."

Gallery
    View images

"Oh you did it on a computer."

Hi All

After a lifetime of using eveything from silver point to acrylics I now sometimes get the response "Oh you did it on a computer." , which comes with a built in disdainful sniff.

Many of the spontaneous replies, which involve the suggestion of them participating in urgent travel, are a bit strong for traditional painters and friends.

Does anyone else suffer from this, and if so what are your responses?

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Ah,ha I know the answer Phil, pick me, pick me, ooooo!
    With my teaching experience it has taught me to not respond at all since it would be wasted on such ignorance.
    If I were in teaching mode that would be different. I would mention that the hype surrounding computers was "make things easier" and the skill package one must bring to the computer.

Glad to see that you are socializing! :roll:
    You'll know when you get there!

Gallery
    View images
    I suppose that those people who told like that weren't artists. If they started drawing using all best softare in the world I'm sure the wouldn't create a piece of art. You could. Because you have an idea in your mind and artistic vision.
    What more? We can consider the art performed with the help of computer to be a new art direction. Why not? Sometimes it's impossible to do without all these computer effects. The more imporant thing that your piece of art could make people think and evoke associations.

Gallery
    View images
    A bad workman blames his tools, and I feel a bad critic blames the artist's tools.

I do like to think that it's the concept and the result that are the really importants part of artistic endeavour: What was in the artist's head is where the value lies, and the tools used to get that idea out on to paper, screen or wherever are secondary in importance.

I have a lot of respect that has to go out to people who take the time to work through the difficulties of learning and using real world media, and I can admire the skill with which those tools were used, but if I don't like the result I'm just admiring the technical skill set and not the piece. The same goes for digital tools: You have to learn a skill set, it may not be as hard in some ways, but you still have to learn to use it. It's just another tool.

So I'd ask them whether they're commenting on your concepts or your tools, because if it's the latter I think they need a perspective realignment

Or ask them if we should really be using brushes, when our ancestors used their hands and crushed berries to express themselves on the walls of caves...
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Good comments all. And Matt, that's spot on as far as I'm concerned as well.

And now for something completely different. . .

It's a complex issue and one that has it's roots in what are they basing their prejudices on. Is this discussion about the art itself or is it about the personal achievement of the artist. Are they seeing this as a fancy paint by numbers process?

Computer art to some means the computer did all the work, and that one didn't have to learn any skills to make a good picture, They think that one is able to use tools that already take you 90 percent there - where you have ready made templates for compositions, or color schemes, or you can use other people's photo reference, where it's just a matter of being clever at selecting from any number of perfect pre-fab choices.

They may wonder what portion of the art is from the guy who signed his name to it. I can sorta see that. But that isn't about the quality of the art. I think they may be saying that using a computer means you are using other people's effort and it diminishes the individual bragging rights because it's almost like a collective group effort.

Like comparing auto racing with a pit crew, fancy machine and all that to a triathelete. The speeds are not comparable so we can't compare speeds one broad category to the other -- though both are generally about speed. So we narrow the categories to establish personal achievement.

With the trithelete, it's easy to see where the personal effort lies. But with auto racing, they bring the machines to an even level to some degree and then we are able to watch people competing in the area of driving skill (and pit crews and all that).

With computer art there are no clearly defined categories yet to determine personal achievement. And the computer has allowed for such mind blowing art, that mind blowing is common. The waves that it has caused are still sloshing about. And it is likely to continue sloshing because everything is changing so fast. . . constantly.

Honestly, I would have to know who is voicing their opinions to know why, in which case the objections could be targeted. But why bother?

The answer for me lies:
    In art as the end result: Does it move the viewer in some way? Does it allow someone to see something in a way they have not before, or . . .

Art as the process of artist's experience: In the process of making the art, what does it call up within the artist himself? What expansion is happening, what is being voiced in a visual way. Creativity.

And it seems pretty obvious that selectivity (choice making from what's available to make images), and technical acuity with computers are firmly part of the artist's world.

My guess is that if you throw the question back on the people who are sounding opinionated, that they probably haven't thought it through all that well. And you could perhaps bring them around to at least identify where the area of objection is.

If the answer is "Duh, I don't know. It just feels too easy." you know who you are talking to. How you handle it from that point is up to you.
    :lol:

Gallery
    View images

Re: "Oh you did it on a computer."

Quote Originally Posted by Aged P
    Hi All

After a lifetime of using eveything from silver point to acrylics I now sometimes get the response "Oh you did it on a computer." , which comes with a built in disdainful sniff.

Many of the spontaneous replies, which involve the suggestion of them participating in urgent travel, are a bit strong for traditional painters and friends.

Does anyone else suffer from this, and if so what are your responses?

Phil
    I saw what I thought was a good answer on another digital painting forum:

"Would you say that an accountant is cheating if they use a calculator?

Would you say that a doctor is cheating if they use an MRI?

Or that a carpenter is cheating if they use power tools?

No, so how is it any different if an artist uses software? The software doesn't make the painting automatically! "

Now where is that "masterpiece" button!

Gallery
    View images

Quote Originally Posted by Improv

That will be in Version 3.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Quote Originally Posted by Improv

That will be in Version 3.
    Sorry for asking-Tycho made me do it-evil cat! :twisted:

Gallery
    View images

You did it on a computer

Hi

I belong to a traditional art club with excellent watercolourists and oil painters. I do get some strange looks and the same comments but when they see some of the results and more importantly when someone buys a digital painting, perhaps there is something in it after all. I always take the view dont knock it until you have tried it, theres room for us all.

kelowna

After all every journey needs an initial step! wth apologies to Confucius.

Gallery
    View images
    I didnt realise there was Tax on any kind of art!!

paying tax on art makes me mad :x grrrrrrrr
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown