ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Resolution

Resolution

Default is 72 dpi. How high can that be taken?

I think we cap at 10000 x 10000 DPI. But as no-one has a printer that does that resolution...

Bear in mind DPI only relates to the printed output. Typically for printed artwork you want 150 DPI (for dye-sublimation printing) or 300 DPI.
    If you're going to print out a poster, you can get away with 75 DPI as people aren't generally going to be looking as closely at the image as magazine layout.

72 DPI is typical screen resolution. By default we assume most work is for web galleries and online use.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Follow up...can I change the dpi value of my old 72 dpi files?

Yes - you can choose the 'rescale painting' option from the edit menu.
    But... Why do you want do?

DPI only really relates to the printed output. If you have an image that is 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall, and print that out at 300 DPI, you end up with output 2.6 inches wide by 2 inches tall. If you print the same 800 x 600 image out at 75 DPI it would print out 10.6 inches by 8 inches. It would still have exactly the same amount of detail as the 2" tall version.

If you want to add more detail into your painting, you can definitely increase the dimensions in pixels when you rescale. And if you think that would make it too big to print out on paper you can increase the DPI setting to make the printed image smaller on the printed page.

In general, unless you're a professional, you can ignore the DPI setting. It doesn't affect your work in any way while you're painting.
    The best way to use it (if you must!) is decide how large you want your printed output to be in inches, choose a DPI setting that matches your target audience, and you will get a painting with a width and height in pixels that when printed matches your desired output.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I think I understand. So if I rescale an image to two or four times its original size using AR, I can then send it off to be printed at a larger size with no loss of image quality?

Andy,
    I've found a web site that I think will help me get my somewhat addled brain around this whole concept. (http://www.layersmagazine.com/the-re...g-quality.html if anyone else is interested.)
    I appreciate your time. I know you're busy with stomping roaches and spiders and silverfish and such. Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,
    RobertSWade

Great link Robert.

As Andy states - DPI only matters when printing.

Just try to send of some of your images for printing without resizing. When printet large size many of the print co. have software that does the enlargement task for you (and often i think they also add some image enhancement eg. colour and brightness/contrast).

Also if you try the same image with different print co. you'll be amazed how different it looks. I have tried it with digital photos. Tried sending the same 10 pictures off to like 5 print co. And got 5 different results back. Also found out that many supermarked chains and photo dealers use the same laburatory for printing - only price varies.

DoodLS

I have one question pertaining to DPI.

Are the brush sizes in relation to the image size or the image resolution? Logically a one inch thick brush stroke on a 30 * 20 cm painting should be one inch thick brush stroke regardless if you use 500 DPI or 1 DPI.

To clarify, a one inch thick brush stroke should be one pixel wide in 1 DPI and 500 pixels wide in 500 DPI, with the same thickness setting on the brush in both examples.