ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitting gallery?

Gallery
    View images

Splitting gallery?

Since there's a dramatic growth of exhibited artworks, would it be a silly idea to split the gallery in several genders (e.g. landscapes, marines, fantasy, abstracts, portraits, drawings etc.)?
    Why? At least it would be nice, when You have only a minute or so, to "throw an eye" (as we say) only to novelties in a gender You feel You wish to see in that precise moment.
    Regards
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    What about galleries for individual artists like the Japanese forum? Has that idea been tossed around? Keep the general chat, tools, tips and tricks, work in progress, critique etc. etc. But have galleries for artists that would allow the viewing of thumbnails of a particular artist. It does become cumbersome to go to a 30+ page thread and try to figure what new has been added or if a new work has been added or whether it is a new comment.

Gallery
    View images
    I would support Your idea too gzairborne (by the way it's a long time I wanted to congratulate for the new avatar!). You can somehow sort out by name or find galleries (e.g. Tinzo, Jacktar, Maror) but a more practical sorting (with thumbnails, what's new etc.) would be great. Nonetheless it would be nice also to go through genders.
    Although it may be disputed, I would also like to split workings based on use of complete or partial use of tracing, reference, stencil or no image to somehow differentiate different degrees of added value and individual style/ signature (not certainly the artistic value).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Ceasar,

I'm missing lots of post and pictures now. There is not time to look at every one., so only those at the top when I log on are ever seen.
    The Gallery does need some changes.

(I think that it would be a nice idea if people said what aids were used in their work, although I don't think it should be a rule. I will start adding that information along with my pictures.)

I think that two Gallery systems are needed one where work can be submitted under the painters name, another by Genre, such as Landscapes, Portraits. People could put their work in either or both categories. The problem would be keeping all the comment posts in one place.

Perhaps also an option for new ArtRage painters to have an area so that they are not overlooked?

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    I have enjoyed formats like those found on elfwood, epilogue, deviantART and other places like that where the setup is personal galleries. I think something is bound to be lost in terms of one stream of images keeping the community close knit, but the locating of images by artist or genre would improve by orders of magnitude.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    If they could program the search feature to hit based on the first poster to a thread perhaps? Almost always is the one with the image everyone is commenting on.

This way, the 'Search' feature would be really useful if you wanted to follow Jacktar or Maror or Tinzo someone.

I think that's why people made their own ongoing gallery threads.

Maybe the Rages could come up with a way to make preferences that will show you when your favorite artist has posted a new thread. You select who you are to be following.

The thing about Deviant is that there is no way to know of any new artists. You can follow your favorites probably. But it's a closed group unless you go to some subscriber and click on their link.

But I'm always feeling like I'm flying blind and at random.

But this is getting to be a very active board. Nature of the beast I guess.

Gallery
    View images
    I exchanged some thougths about this topic with Andy a few weeks ago, and he said something is in the works (or they want to, now that 2.5 is out).

I personally don't want to see the galleries too fragmented, as there will be too many places to go to see things. My request was to have a means of reviewing pictures by person that posted them -- but I did not ask for separate galleries, just, essentially, a database query to pull up each person's work.

I could see some splitting of the galleries as well -- but hesitate to make it too granular for the reason mentioned above. Some thoughts on different breakouts (not that all should be used!):

- beginner, "regular"
    - portraits, landscape, "illustration" (cartoon, graphic), abstract/still life
    - need assistance/guidance/feedback, tips/tricks/training/mentoring

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Yup yup, we're definitely looking at adding personal galleries, and making other changes to the forums.

Really we've been 100% focussed on getting ArtRage 2.5 out the door. There are some issues to solve with that release, then we can focus on other nice things.

(I think we overcommitted ourselves a bit with AR2.5 It kinda grew into a monster...)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hey, I like monsters.

Gallery
    View images
    May I offer a compromise idea? How about all new postings going into the "New Gallery" for a period and then into an "Archive Gallery"?

And it would be nice to be able to search for a certain artist's works the way you can do for your own with the User Attachment Control thingie on your profile page.