Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More like Artweaver...

Gallery
    View images

More like Artweaver...

I recently upgraded my ArtRage to 2.5 and after all of the hype about new features I must say I am totally disappointed.

Not being a freehand artist, I purchased ArtRage to do photo manipulation much like is done in Corel Painter . Turning a photo into a paintery type image using one of my digital photos as a source... I find in ArtRage I can not do this yet in a trial copy of Painter or in Corel Painter Essentials I can...

I then started looking for a cheaper alternative to Painter. I heard ArtRage was the closes thing to Painter and was developed by programmers who birthed Painter at Metacreations. I immediately became very interested...

However after much effort I found ArtRage was not the app for me and have since relegated it to the bin...

I recently found a free app named ArtWeaver that is still in beta...

http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

And for the things that I want to do, ArtWeaver blows ArtRage off the map... IMHO ArtWeaver is more like Corel Painter then any other application... And I'm hoping the developers of ArtRage will take a close look at ArtWeaver and start adding some of the tools Artweaver has into ArtRage...

Gallery
    View images
    Hmmm,

ArtRage says it's a Painting Package, Artweaver says it's for Photo manipulation. Corel Painter is the disk that I stand my coffee on.

All seems pretty clear to me.

Aged P
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    It's quite obvious you never even looked at Artweaver...

Quoting from their site...

Artweaver is a simple Freeware program for creative painting, i.e. Artweaver offers you all artistic effects which you need for your work.

You can create sketches from photos and experiment with a wide range of brushes. The brush simulation is thereby so realistic as possible.
    ...the above was cut & pasted from their site....
    [/quote]

Gallery
    View images
    I believe that you must have been misguided in the first place. And thus mixing up what the programs actually can do. Artrage is not like Painter and Photoshop. Artrage is Artrage which is what makes it so great.

I have tried Artweaver during a few versions and didn't like it much. Maybe I should take that to the Artweaver forums and direct them here.

Another take would maybe list what you would like Artrage to do and post that in the suggestions forum. That way the Artrage team will have a chance to identify what Artrage should offer to make you happier. Instead of just saying, Artrage should be more like programs X or Y or even Z...

cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmo
    The brush simulation is thereby so realistic as possible.
    They are not realistic - painting also in real with acryl, oil, water color, and much other things i can guarantee you that Artweaver is not a realistic program. Artweaver is nothing else like a gimp or photoshop "imitate".

The brush strokes are not handled in an natural way. Try it - paint with an oilbrush the several times on the canvas - the color is flat. Do the Same with ArtRage and you'll figure out in ArtRage the color has volume like a real brush stroke create on a real canvas.

So don't compare Apples with Bananas...

Gallery
    View images
    It sounds very much like I was unrealistic in my expectations of Artrage...

As I've said before Artrage appears to be an awesome app for free hand artists but not for what I am attempting to do...

Thanks to all who replied...

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Kenmo,

Sorry, that sounded far harsher than I intended.

ArtRage is a superb, intuitive freehand painting package which does a little photo manipulation. I don't think it ever claimed to do a lot.

Artweaver to me is a package which allows a lot of "arms length" creativity and manipulation. Changing , rearranging, blending etc. That's not a criticism, in the right hands it can do truly beautiful things. Their range of brushes is superb. (My favourites are "Nozzles" and Calligraphy).
    It has a lot in common with the MS program which they killed off. EPG? The downside for me is the UI, it is similar to the industry standard Photoshop system. If I had to learn it to earn my living then I would but it is not a system that you can open and start using without reading the manual. Even when it's free that is still a downer.
    I will carry on using it to make stuff to use in ArtRage. I just can't imagine opening it up because I fancied drawing something while having a coffee..

Corel is a package I have used for many, many years and still find user hostile. Painter is OK and has some good features but once again it is far from intuitive.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    When I tried Artweaver I found it unresponsive. Brush stokes rendered as a series of lines.

Although it does look uncannily similar to Painter!!!!
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    We're definitely not wanting to make ArtrRage a photo-manipulation package. That's not its aim, and it would break the chaotic creative nature of ArtRage.
    If ArtWeaver does what you want, then definitely you should be using ArtWeaver!

We absoluely do not want or intend to compete with Photoshop, or Corel Painter, or ArtWeaver.

However if there are some specific features that you feel ArtRage would benefit from, we're always happy to consider suggestions.
    "Make ArtRage more like ArtWeaver" is not a useful suggestion. What tools and processes from ArtWeaver do you consider the high-priority features that ArtRage is missing? The UI to ArtWeaver totally blows - it's a technical UI for technical people. By cloning Painter, all they're doing is making the same UI mistakes as Painter!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    More like Artweaver...????????
    NOT HERE THEY DONT.....MORE like ARTRAGE.......
    JACK
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.