Thread: Edges VS Masking

Gallery
    View images

Edges VS Masking

The rulers are awesome. They are just as I imagined they would be, and they are perfect! Kudos and Congrats!!!

The french curves, however, are useless... A French Curve is defined as "a template used for drawing curved lines." However, they only behave like masks, so you can't actually run your pencil along them and create any kind of smooth line with them. You can paint up against them like a mask, but using them as a real french curve is almost impossible. They need to behave like the rulers do, get close and they snap to the edge!

All the other stencil shapes are fun, but the rulers and French Curves are where it's at for me.

=)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi John,
    All the friskets, masks and stencils can work either as masks, rulers, or guides.
    If you take one of the curved stencils and right click on it, you get the option to turn it into a ruler or guide.
    Then if you start drawing over the area of the stencil the line will be locked to the edge of the stencil.
    Try it - drop one of the french curves on the canvas, right-click and choose 'guide mode' from the menu.
    Now draw a line onto the french curve and you'll see it stops at the edge. You need to be a bit careful around the convex bits (just like if you were tracing around a real-world frisket with a pencil!).
    Note that if you 'mouse down' on top of a guide or ruler stencil, the start of stroke will be at the point on the edge of the stencil that is closest to where you moused.
    If you have a circle stencil set to 'guide mode' and just kinda click somewhere in the middle, and draw a quick rough circle in the opaque area of the stencil it is converted to a loverly smooth circle around the edges.
    Things might get a bit odd if you use one of the softer masks as a guide - best to stick to the hard-edged stencils and masks if you want them to act nicely as guides and rulers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Well now I feel stupid. =) It was there all the time. That's easy enough.

Then let me amend my post here: You did it spot on perfect!!!!! No other software package, at any price, has anything remotely awesome like this. The water just parted before me.

=)
    -John

Gallery
    View images
    don't feel stupid, John. Let me assure you that it isn't the first time Andy has explained this.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images
    Actually if I have to explain it, it means we haven't made the features 'accessible' enough. We're always looking for ways to improve the way ArtRage works - streamline the user interface and make the workflow more natural.

If something isn't immediately obvious to you, it's not a failing in you, it's a failing of ArtRage. So I'll go and shout at MattRage until he fixes it.

Gallery
    View images
    Since this is the first time I've ever seen this sort of system implemented in a way that actually works, I can say that once the concept became clear to me it's now far more intuitive than I had realized before. But it's always obvious after you find your car keys where they were all along.

=)

Gallery
    View images
    Just an idea. I don't know if it is feasible to put icons for the different modes, but a visual representation of the modes may be helpful.

This is a VERY rough ideas what I was talking about. Presumably Matt would make it pretty and make as much sense as possible!

D.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Actually if I have to explain it, it means we haven't made the features 'accessible' enough.
    Jokes are just like that.

Three fonts walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "We don't serve your type in here."
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    Well, making one red and one clear, etc, helps a lot after you've chosen the ruler/mask. Perhaps a choice while in the actual stencils window before you choose which one you want would be beneficial. Like a radio button or even the checkboxs.

[] Mask Mode [] Ruler Mode [] Guide Mode

Like that.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Actually if I have to explain it, it means we haven't made the features 'accessible' enough.
    Jokes are just like that.

Three fonts walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "We don't serve your type in here."
    OMG that's just a geek joke! Hehe.

Two hydrogen atoms are walking down the street. One says "Oh no, I've lost an atom!" The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive."