ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stencil notes and suggestions

Stencil notes and suggestions

Hiding and showing stencils:
    F6 is useful for hiding and showing stencils but it is no use if you have two or more stencils and only some are active. F6 will show all the stencils you have hidden. Can F6 change so that it shows and hides active stencils only.

Inverting stencil:
    Using the mouse or tablet to invert a stencil can sometimes result in accidentally moving the position of the stencil. When you rely on the inverted stencil to be in exactly the same position this is annoying. Even better would be a short cut to invert the palette.

Stencil palette:
    Pressing F brings up the stencil palette. It remembers which category was selected except if you have the active panel selected. Can the palette be set to remember the active category. Can the mouse wheel be used to scroll the palette instead of the image? Can the palette also remember where it was between sessions. Restarting ArtRage resets its position.

Opacity:
    As mentioned elsewhere, it would be useful to be able to increase the opacity of the stencil. If you use one stencil on top of another it is difficult to see what you are doing.

Grouping and locking:
    I am finding it extremely useful to use two or more stencils together. The option to either merge or group them would be useful. I would also like to lock a stencils position so that it doesn't move.

Stencils as a stamp:
    I would like to use a stencil as a stamp.

Grabbing and moving stencils:
    Sometimes this can be tricky as it relies on an opaque area. If the stencil is sufficiently light it can be difficult grabbing it. Particularly noticeable on textures.

That's it for now!
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Stencil boundary:

When using some of the stencils that come with ArtRage such as Circle Patterns. I would like an option to restrict the paint to inside the stencil.

This saves time when you are trying not to paint over the edge of the stencil.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Stencil boundary:

When using some of the stencils that come with ArtRage such as Circle Patterns. I would like an option to restrict the paint to inside the stencil.

This saves time when you are trying not to paint over the edge of the stencil.
    Right-click the stencil, choose Invert the Stencil.

=)

I know about inverting the stencil, what I meant is to restrict paint to with the actual space the stencil takes up.

Excuse the capitals, I'm not shouting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charlie

Ah, I just figured this out myself.

You need to find the stencil file, it will be a black and white PNG file. Open it up in Photoshop and increase the Canvas Size. This makes the image bigger (thicker borders) without resampling the stencil itself.

=)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Note also that if you have a hollow circle stencil, you can turn it into the Ruler type stencil from the right-click menu. Then you can paint madly inside it to your hearts content, knowing that the edges of the ruler stop your tool from going outside the area, and the masking stops paint appearing underneath.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Oh, hey. Andy's idea is much easier... but now you know how to make your own stencils at least.

That was sweet... I'll have to try everything imaginable with those 3 settings to figure out all of the cool goodies you can do with each of them.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Note also that if you have a hollow circle stencil, you can turn it into the Ruler type stencil from the right-click menu. Then you can paint madly inside it to your hearts content, knowing that the edges of the ruler stop your tool from going outside the area, and the masking stops paint appearing underneath.
    Thanks for the tip but the only problem is that it won't prevent a large brush from painting outside the area if the gap is smaller than the brush.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Thanks for the tip but the only problem is that it won't prevent a large brush from painting outside the area if the gap is smaller than the brush.
    Ahh... good catch. I guess you could to either of the following:

A) Use additional masks on the sides.

B) Use a smaller brush.