ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What are layers, how do you use them?

Gallery
    View images

What are layers, how do you use them?

Hello,

Could someone please help me explain what the layers do and how to use them and for what?
    Thank you!
    Netti

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Netty,

in very very short terms: Imagine layers as a kind of transparencies or foils you can stack, lay over each other. For your animal pictures e.g. it could be handy if you paint your background first on the canvas, then create a new layer (see appropriate button on the bottom of the layers palette on the right) and paint your animal on that new layer. So everything you paint in that new layer doesnīt affect the other layers - no colours are merged e.g. when you paint with the oil brush - you have completely independ "foils" so to speak that donīt interact.

You can also chose modes how these layers are blended, but thatīs a different story and bit more complicated to explain. You can also merge down layers that you like to have on one single layer again or merge down all layers on one single one.

When you want to paint on a particular layer you have to click on it in the layer palette first ( itīs getting a green border then). You can of course create some new layer and paint on that first and then go one layer down and paint on that (your background e.g.) - this is a very nice feature!

Hope I could help you

Marco

Gallery
    View images
    Oh wow, I had no idea! Thank you so much Marco!! I really appreciate the help I'll try it out soon