ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bug report

Bug report

I think I found a bug.

These are my first attempts to get a nebula effect. (At this point it just looks like a purple blob.) The nebula attempt is in it's own layer of course, the bump blend mode is set to replace. It has a very low opacity. The nebula is done with the paintbrush tool. The starfield is made with the glitter tool.

The bug: Notice the black squares in the starfield that has formed around the Nebula Attempt? And that you can't see any stars through the nebula despite the nebula layer being at 4% opacity? I don't know why the squares appeared, or why they survived the export to JPG. If I erase the nebula, or just hide that layer, the starfield goes back to normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starfieldbug_172.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	8502  

What colour blend mode have you used?
    Are you using Windows, or MacOSX (PPC or Intel, 10.3 or 10.4)?

I'm not seeing that behaviour here - any chance you could zip up your painting file and email it to andy@ambientdesign.com
    I'll take a look at it and see if we can replicate it here.

Thanks!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Mail sent, I'm using windows xp and the blend mode was normal, on all layers.

Oh, and your welcome.

Great - I've received the file, and I can replicate the problem here, so I'll look into what's causing it and let you know what I find.

There are always teething troubles when we do a massive update like this. We'll probably need to do a 'point' release shortly to address a couple of things that have come to light that didn't show up in the beta testing.

Okay I've done some digging through the file and here are my findings.
    I'll give a technical explanation, as well as an easy work-around for you.

Technical bit: The startfield effect you've produced is the result of the highlights on metallic black gitter particles. The effect, therefore is very dependent on the angle of incidence between the surface of the glitter and the lights. If the angle of the surface changes, then the new angle may miss the phong highlight. If the phong highlight area is missed then the surface would appear entirely black. The new bump blend mode 'replace' appears to have some issues at low opacity ranges of layer blending. It is affecting the bump outside the alpha of the paint stroke.
    Regarding the black boxes around the paint: ArtRage breaks layers up into tiles and only allocates memory for a tile if there is actually paint inside the tile. This saves enormous amounts of memory, and speeds up compositing and rendering. The boxes are where tiles have been allocated for paint (the nebula), and are therefore composited into the canvas. As the bug is visible where these tiles exist, but not outside the tiles, you can see the placement of the tiles above your starfield.

Easy work-around: Select your starfield layer. From the layer menu, select 'export layer'. Save it as a PNG (so no detail is lost). Now from the ArtRage file menu, choose 'Import Image to Layer'. This will create a new layer just above your selected starfield layer, and fill it with the starfield.
    When you exported the layer it converted it from a 3D surface with lighting into a flat bitmap of the rendered result of the 3D. And when you re-imported it again it created a layer of flat paint with the colour of the starfield.

I'll add a bug to our buglist to fix this for a future update.