ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage 2.5 - Where does it store files?

ArtRage 2.5 - Where does it store files?

ArtRage 2.5 changed the location of user created support files such as Stencils, Custom Color Pickers, and Canvas Presets. To help people who want to run the old version of ArtRage alongside the latest, we've put together some details below to help you locate your files.

Why Did Everything Move?

To make ArtRage more compliant with the security requirements of the operating systems we support, we have shifted the location of user created files to the user's application support folder. By doing this, we guarantee that regardless of the access rights your login has, you can still create and use presets. ArtRage stores its own default files in its own folder, but any Stencils, Canvas Presets, Size Presets, or Custom Color Pickers you create will be stored by default in your own login's application support location.

So, Where Are The Files?

Windows.

On Windows XP, the application support folder can be found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources

On Windows Vista, the application support folder can be found in:
    C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\

Your 'Documents and Settings' folder may not be on the C drive, depending on how Windows was installed.

The Application Data folder is a hidden folder by default. If you cannot see it, you can display it by selecting the Tools menu at the top of the Documents and Settings window, selecting Folder Options, selecting the View tab from within the Folder Options panel and selecting 'Show hidden files and folders' from the list that appears.

Mac OSX.

On OSX, the application support folder can be found in:

Macintosh HD\Users\<your user name>\Library\Application Support\ArtRage 2\Resources

What's In That Folder?

Inside the Resources folder you will find folders for all of the different user document types ArtRage requires. For example, every time you save a Stencil, it will be saved in to the Stencils folder, or a folder inside that named after the category it was added to.

How Do I Bring Across My Data From 2.2?

If you install 2.5 directly over your ArtRage 2.2 folder on Windows, all your old data will be available by default.

If you created Canvas Presets, Custom Color Pickers, or other items in 2.2 that you want to be available in 2.5, you must move those items from the ArtRage 2.2 'Resources' folder, located in the same folder the ArtRage 2.2 executable file was installed to, and in to the Resources folder in the application support folder.

For example, if I have a canvas preset 'Heavy Grain' on Windows XP to bring across from 2.2 to 2.5, I look in 'ArtRage 2.2/Resources/Presets/Canvas Presets', and move 'Heavy Grain.cpr' to C':\Documents and Settings\MattRage\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\Presets\Canvas Presets'.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Is it possible to change this if you would rather have files stored in the old locations? My OS partition is in a frozen state that reverts to a preset state at reboot, which wipes out settings in Application Data.

Carl
    Unless otherwise specified, all images I post are released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

You can manually add items to the ArtRage Resources folder, but there is no way to change it to add items there for you automatically. So if you want to replicate items in the ArtRage folder, just copy the contents of your Application Data/Resources folder in to it before shut-down.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I dont have those files

I have just gotten artrage 2.5 and I followed the directions downloading and i found the file in application data ther eis nothing but this file called artrage.prs

The locations listed are for user created files. So any stencils you add, that sort of thing, will be located as per the original post. Everything else is in ArtRage's resources subfolder. If you've just installed ArtRage I wouldn't expect to see anything else in the other folders except for your artrage.prs file ( ArtRage's settings file ) so that is correct.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Confusion

To Dave,
    I have artrage studio 3.0.8 and am still having a real hard time. I do not know why I am unable to download the different things offered in the forum. My April Issue of ArtRage US the links do not work, altho the other magazines they did. What is a .col file?
    Peace; Spoon (spoonvee)

I've written a guide here which explains the different types of file and how to download them for the various ArtRage versions: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=18574

If that doesn't help, please email me at support@artrage.com with the details of the problem you're having e.g. a forum thread you're trying to download from, what you're trying to download, exactly what happens and the text of any error messages you see and I'll be able to help you from there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design