ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Line art" for political cartoons

Gallery
    View images

"Line art" for political cartoons

Hi,

I just got ArtRage 2 and it's been fun fooling around with its paint abilities.

What I got it for was to produce 'political cartoons'.
    I'm thinking of simple stuff in the 'style' of Walt Kelly or Bill Waterson.

I did a search on the forum to see how others have managed, but nothing directly applied. Although the art was very fine.

So before I go reinvent the wheel trying to mimic india ink and 0 brush or pen, does anybody have any suggestions?

Vini

Gallery
    View images
    You may want to hold out a little longer and see what comes in the new ArtRage 2.5. They are currently testing a Release Candidate, so it may be out soon.

David

Gallery
    View images
    My suggestion is like this:

- Select the Paint Brush tool.
    - Set Pressure to 10%
    - Set Thinners to 30%
    - Set Loading to 100%
    - Turn Insta-Dry On
    - Set your brush width to about 4%

That will mimic a nice line-art sable brush very well. Make it it's own layer and color underneath it for added effect.

=)

Gallery
    View images
    Does the precise pencil work for this purpose (new in 2.5)?

D.

Gallery
    View images
    I find the Precise Pencil, or any pencil, is too light even at the hardest pressures, as well as being too unvarying for line art. The pressure sensitivity afforded by the brush allows for beautiful variation between thin and thickness of line art, like traditional illustrators would have used.

Gallery
    View images
    Afterthought:

I still think it runs out of ink/paint way too fast though regardless of the loading/thinning. I don't care how real it is, running out of ink mid-circle just sucks!

Seems to happen more frequently now at higher DPI too.

=(

Gallery
    View images
    You know, I thought it was my imagination today, but I noticed what I thought was "less paint on the brush," too.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Try the Felt pen tool, with maximum softness, middle wetness, middle pressure, and in 'art pen' mode.

Also, try increasing the thinners on your oil setup to around 45%. It will make your oil paint go further.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Try the Felt pen tool, with maximum softness, middle wetness, middle pressure, and in 'art pen' mode.
    50% wetness bleeds too much on the edges for wider strokes. 35% was better. Not as noticeable on thinner strokes. Still too much wash at the tips where the ink lightens to grey though. Drawing forever is nice, but I like the appearance of the paintbrush lines better because they remain true to black. I also prefer the shape of the paint line tips over the felt tip tool.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Also, try increasing the thinners on your oil setup to around 45%. It will make your oil paint go further.
    If I go much beyond 30%-35% it begins to wash to grey.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by John the Artist
    I find the Precise Pencil, or any pencil, is too light even at the hardest pressures, as well as being too unvarying for line art. The pressure sensitivity afforded by the brush allows for beautiful variation between thin and thickness of line art, like traditional illustrators would have used.
    it dosent overcome the thickness issue but to overcome the lightness of pencil if i want the precise look i just duplicate the layer...and presto...dark lines

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~