ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing together over the net and a selection tool

Drawing together over the net and a selection tool

There is this lovely little program called Open Canvas 1.1-b72 that lets you connect with eachother and collaborate on the same drawing. Having this function in Artrage would be wonderful, OC 1.1-b72 is infested with annoying little bugs.

(I had URLs for OC, but the forum wouldn't let mer post6 them...)

Also, I mention it here as well for good measure. I want a lasso selection tool, for moving parts of an image or transferring parts of an image to a new layer. They are so very handy when you have drawn the head too high or too low.

Thank you for reading!

Cooperative painting is something we've added to our list of suggestions, certainly a fun idea!

ArtRage 2.5 Full Edition ( just released a few minutes ago ) has the ability to move layer contents around, as well as copying and pasting layer contents to a new layer, although we don't specifically have a selection tool in the current version.

Thanks for the suggestions! We do take a note of these when planning future updates, while trying to ensure that we keep things as easy to use and natural as we can.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

That's really nice.

But I found a bug that quite ruins the whole artrage experience for me to the point that I regret that i bought it.

I like to work on details in high zoom. The problem is that you can't see the end of the line you have drawn until you stop and lift the pen. This might seem like a small thing, but with my style of drawing it becomes a great frustration, and it makes the program useless for me except for quick and dirty doodles. And quick and dirty doodles was not what I bought the program for.

Quick and dirty doodles were all I tried before I bought it however, stupid as I am...

I recorded a video of the bug and uploaded it to Youtube. Can't post links yet, so i'll send it in a PM. I allready sent this to AndyRage, but your signature makes me think that it might be a good idea to send it to you too.

Do you have any plans to fix this bug in the near future or should I ask for a refund?

The precise pencil setting in ArtRage 2.5, and the airbrush tool both work as digital artists expect.
    Note that in the Real World <tm> you also cannot see the exact stroke you've made until you lift your tool as the stroke is obscured by the tool head.

The technology behind the natural media look and feel of ArtRage has limitations with regard to making the stroke appear precisely on the tool head while you're working.
    If you prefer a more digital look then use the airbrush and precise pencil.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

The thing is, I tried what you are suggesting and I didn't find it adequate to my needs.

However, I will most probably rescind my mail to Kagi requesting to make a claim. I did find a use for Artrage after all, it just took me a while to realize how it could be usefull. It's a lot more fun and easy to draw the rough sketches in Artrage than in Photoshop. So I'll simply start using both programs in conjunction. Artrage for rough sketching and general playing around. Photoshop for cleanup and minute details.

Though my request for seeing the whole line still stands, it's not crucial anymore but if you fix that I could completely replace photoshop with Artrage.

Although I have my grieavances I must commend you on the UI. It's wonderful. Well done!

One thing though. Moving layers around in a 400 dpi image just barely works with all the lag you get. It's actually really difficult to get it where you want it as it takes about 30 seconds for artrage to update the image... At first I didn't think I had found the function at all... And no, I dont want to work in a lower resolution, it would make the cleanup process in Photoshop extra tedious...

I have a 1.8mghz duocore laptop with a thousand or 1024 megabytes, or whatever you get when you have a gig of ram. OS is WinXP. Do Artrage use both processor cores by the way? Would buying more ram help?

Thanks!

More RAM definitely helps. ArtRage has to move about 5 times the amount of data that Photoshop does. Layers in ArtRage need to store much more information about paint thickness, wetness, shine and so on, where Photoshop just needs to know about colour. As a result it is a very RAM-hungry application.

Couldn't you make the program so that when you go into layer transformation mode the images are converted to just colour?

Then maybe you could move things around, and when you are done click apply to have the effects redraw themselves? Something like that? Or at least make it an option so that the program becomes usable with higher resolutions?

Edit: I tried to set the bump blend mode to replace. I figured it wouldn't have to calculate everything below the layer you transformed then. But the thing is, I have just used the art pen. There isn't exactly much bump fata to move around, right?

It's kind of irritating the way the program crashes every time you try to transform a layer...

The rendering happens in just colour mode, but the other data still has to be kept as well.

Progressive refinement is probably the best solution - I'll do some testing for a future release of ArtRage.

Quote Originally Posted by ÄlveKatt
    It's kind of irritating the way the program crashes every time you try to transform a layer...
    Please provide some details as to the process you're using, I think we would have noticed if it crashed every time you transformed a layer in all cases We can try to track the problem down for you if you can give us a better picture of what's happening, and hopefully fix it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by ÄlveKatt
    Edit: I tried to set the bump blend mode to replace. I figured it wouldn't have to calculate everything below the layer you transformed then. But the thing is, I have just used the art pen. There isn't exactly much bump fata to move around, right?

Even flat ink still has shine, reflectivity and wetness data associated with the colour. And although the bump of the ink pen is zero, it's still a 16 bit zero - the bump information has to be stored for interaction with bump on other layers, or tools that do have bump information on that layer.

Can you provide details on the crash? When does the crash occur? What size image are you working with?

Note that on Windows ArtRage attempts to write a crash recovery painting file in your application data/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2 folder. The file is called ARRestart.ptg, so you may not have lost your work if it was important.