ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 3 Little suggestions about Layers...

Gallery
    View images

3 Little suggestions about Layers...

Hi ArtRage Team..

1 - Is it possible to imagine that when you turn off a layer, it would be impossible to paint on.. Few days ago, i spent 20 mn on a detail and on the wrong layer wich was turned off.. Grrrrrr....!!!

2 - When a layer is selected, the background color used is a kind of yellow. Would it be possible to get another color, more precise, more strong, more dark or an effet to show very quickly on witch on you paint.

3 - Another thing is about the way to check buttons in the interface. When i press on with the wacom pen, there is a little delay before it move and it's not very confortable.. And sometimes, i have to press on two times to be sure that the button was on or off...

I don't know if those requests are still possible ?

Thank's in advance

Weeks

Gallery
    View images
    hehe i'll tack another one of my little complaints on here,

when you toggle the layer's visibility, there is a rather long pause, if this could be near instantanous it'd be nice, perhaps freeing the memory in the background after awhile as it's nice to be able to quickly toggle a layer on and off to see the effect it has
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images

Re: 3 Little suggestions about Layers...

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks
    1 - Is it possible to imagine that when you turn off a layer, it would be impossible to paint on.. Few days ago, i spent 20 mn on a detail and on the wrong layer wich was turned off.. Grrrrrr....!!!
    I didn't think what you described was possible. so I just tried it. What I found was that I could paint on it -- but it was not visible on the screen. Maybe we got different results... but the first thing that crossed my mind was how you paint for 20 minutes without seeing anything happening? :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist. I know there is something missing from my understanding!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Well... :? Drzeller, 8)

It's a bit more complicated.. (I didn't explain because of my english)..
    Or am i insane...??? :roll:

When i draw, i use 3, 4, 5 layers and when it is possible more.. From darker to lighter.. and specialy in the beginning of the painting.

The example i was talking about was that i had 2 layers in the dark area, 1 in the medium and 2 others.
    When i draw, i create noise, chaos on diff layers, (to create future texture) and specialy when it is in the dark palette, i don't see exactly what i paint. And in my case, i select, deselect the layers as quickly as possible. But sometimes, i change my mind. I work the same way but in another register. After a moment, I don't know on wich layer exactly i paint or not.

In the case i was described, i passed 20 mn doing that. From one to another. But i turned off one of these layers that i was working on and i didn't see it was not the good one...
    You know in the beginning, what i see on the screen is .. a bit strange sometimes and that's why i didn't put any attention except when i decided to focus on that specific layer.. Aaah..

I don't know if it's clear enough.. But believe me, it would be very helpfull..

That's why it would be good to stop the access of a layer when it is turned off... Like this, no doubt, no fears, no mistakes..

Weeks

Gallery
    View images
    Those are good suggestions.
    Just so everyone knows... even if I dont comment on suggestions, we consider them all. When it comes to deciding the feature-set and enhancements for the next version, we'll go through the entire suggestions forum and consider them all again, making decisions on how they fit into the UI and workflow of ArtRage.

Regarding the delay in switching layers on and off: That's a really really really tough one to solve. The final output of ArtRage is produced by combining all the layers, then applying the 3D lighting and texturing model. When you switch off a layer, we have to re-render the entire image again. Very slow. I could look at doing progressive enhancement updates in a later version. Or something.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Andy,

We all know and understand what's going on for you and the team.

You manage, think about new features, write code, test, scream : Aaarrrgghh..!! (sometimes about the result ) read all the sugg in the forum, see the paintings, write a nice word for every one.. Check the account, meetings with the staff, etc, etc. And you have your own life, etc..

So, its ok for us.

Awainting the moment you'll come back on every sugg to see how it could be done..

Weeks