Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Sensitivity 2

Pressure Sensitivity 2

I had similar problem to that reported in the thread "Pressure Senstivity" .

For me the pressure sensitivity suddenly, for all tools, became mis-scaled in the sense that to make a dark mark, I had to rub a tool back and forth many times. I guess that a better way to put it is that pressure sensitivity for all tools suddenly became stuck at some very low value.

I did find the .prs file and deleting this and restarting Art Rage did solve the problem. I am using the full version.

I do not know if this is relevant, but before this occurred, I was using multiple layers and had incorporated a tracing image into the current layer

If this anomaly re-occurs, would it help if I sent Ambient Design the .prs file before deleting it?

Gallery
    View images
    Actually it probably would help, yes!
    You can mail it to andy@ambientdesign.com
    if you see the problem again.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    If deleting a prs file fixes a problem, definitely feel free to email me the prs if it recurs to support@ambientdesign.com so we can look at it. However, it's also definitely worthwhile even in this case to make sure of a few other things, as other than the pressure setting dial for the tool in the tool control panel, and having mouse mode enabled or disabled, ArtRage does not have any additional pressure settings. These are the only two items store in the prs file. Therefore, if either setting is not appropriately configured, removing the prs will reset them both, making it look potentially more complex than it may have been.

I know this was covered in the other thread, but things which are very important for anyone using a tablet and having problems, even if these problems only exist when using ArtRage:

1/ Check that resetting the tool in ArtRage ( reset in the left hand panel ) doesn't fix the problem

2/ Make sure that mouse mode is enabled in ArtRage ( Edit -> Preferences, Use Mouse Mode ) as this is the most compatible method of getting tablet data ( the wording is a bit confusing, it doesn't actually refer to tablet mouse mode in your tablet settings, or using the mouse )

3/ Ensure that the latest version of the tablet driver is installed. If it is, remove and reinstall it, making sure any custom profiles are removed ( I have in the past seen a couple of problems relating to this )

Other than that, absolutely, a prs file from a copy of Artrage having a specific problem may give us an indication as to the nature of the problem, it's always possible that there's a bug that we're not aware of. I get all the support email so no need to attention it to anyone. Thanks for the feedback!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Beaten to it by Andy, again!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

More information

I can now better describe the problem.

I delete the .prs file and re-open Art Rage and pressure sensitivity seems to work correctly in the new document opened by default.

Without saving, I opened a file I worked on some other file I previously created and pressure sensitivity seemed to work fine.

Again without saving, I now open up the file for which pressure sensitivity suddenly failed, and pressure sensitivity again fails, and continues to do so until I again delete the .prs file.

If you send me your email, I can send you the problemsome image and the associated and apparently corrupt .prs file

Gallery
    View images
    Perfect! Even better!

Send 'em both to andy@ambientdesign.com

You might need to zip 'em to get them through my Email.
    Awesome! There's a prs bug I've been chasing for a looooong time.

zip file has been sent to andy ...

.... of couse this bug will be fixed in version 2.5

Gallery
    View images
    Got the file thanks...
    It'll probably miss the 2.5 release now, as we've already built the 'release candidates'.

But now that I have the file it'll definitely make it to a patch soon!

When you find the bug, could you please advise me about a workaround for or to avoid encountering the bug until a fix is released?

I am a bit reluctant to use Art Rage before I know of an avoidance strategy, becuase I do not want to have worked an a project for some time and then have Art Rage become useless. At least one other person other than I encountered the same problem.

Thanks

Gallery
    View images
    Okay, found the blighter!
    Here's what's happening...

Internally, ArtRage supports semi-transparent colours. This means the painting engine is quite happy to work with blue at 10% alpha. However to keep the application simple to use, we avoid exposing too many settings. So Alpha isn't exposed in the colour picker.
    Somehow (and I'm still tracking down how, because it's not supposed to be possible!) the current colour's alpha is getting reduced to around 0% - totally transparent. This is the bug.
    The result is that when you paint, obviously very little pigment is applied. And when you choose a new colour only the RGB component of the colour is being updated - the alpha component isn't affected (that would be chosen from an alpha slider, if it was available, which it isn't!)
    Current colour is stored with painting files (*.ptg) and also the current colour is stored with the user settings file (ArtRage.prs) So whenever you start ArtRage, or open a painting with this broken current colour, you end up apparently having no colour applied.

The easy work-around!
    Until we ship a patch for this, there are two very simple ways to fix the problem.
    Choose the sample tool, ensure the tool's setting 'Single Layer' is off, sample any point in the canvas. That will set the current colour's alpha to 100% opaque. Now choose another tool, and carry on.
    Or just show the colour swatch pane and choose a colour from the colour swatches. (Swatches are always stored with the pure colour at 100% opaque) If you have no colours in the swatch panel, you can load a colour set from the colour swatch's menu.

So given that there is an easy work-around, we're not going to consider it a ship-stopper for ArtRage 2.5, but we've given it 'A' level bug status in our bug database, so it'll be fixed in the very next patch.

Thank you very much for you help - this bug has been haunting me for a long time.