ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some design help

Need some design help

I am building a Flash-based photo gallery for a nautically themed page.

I was thinking of putting customizes previous/next, first/last, play/pause buttons on the album. Actually, I may keep the play/pause standard, since the symbols are so well recognized.

Here is my idea. Be harsh in your feedback. If it is too cutesy, please tell me so.

I was thinking of having a set of anchors turned on their side and pointing in the appropriate direction for previous and next, and an anchor sitting the normal way (upright) next to them for jumping to first and last.

EDITED: See example below.

Good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Other symbols to use? Don't mess with it?

Thanks for the input.

David

Here is kind of what I was thinking of. Each would have a Tool Tip that says what they do.

Thanks again,
    D.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here is a mock-up of a gallery. I know, the picture is a flower - not exactly nautical!

The arrow and tool tip are of course imitation.

D.

Ahoy matee.

Clever idea, and I don't think you would get any complaints from anybody who is into boats. Kind of fun.

It would be a matter of indicating to the user that they are click able buttons.

And I think you should go with either all boats or all anchors or devices,

Example would be one of those old command things somewhere on the bridge of bigger ships where it looks like a circular thin on a post with a handle that one moves to positions that say: Forward, reverse, all stop, full ahead etc.

Since you are designing your click able and can make it look any way you want, you could put it to the side of the movie or what have you and make the particular spots click able.

But I like your idea with the boats with the sails as a separate theme and anchors as a separate theme.

If you needed to expand on the idea of the sail positions, for fast forward you could have a boat with a ballooning jib sail that they use for racing.

With pause, those twin masts are a little close together. Maybe use a 2 master or tied to a second boat as if pausing to exchange supplies or transfer a passenger. That way you could get in the 2 parallel masts

But stop you might add a dingy in the water and an anchor line going into the water off the bow, or show a boat tied to a suggestion of a dock (a piling) with a slack line.

If you're going with the anchor theme, perhaps you can show anchors of different kinds/shapes. And if you use 2 tones of black and gray, you can highlight the pertinent part -- there is a common anchor that has parallel lines even though there are wedge shaped plates. So you would show the overall silhouette in say a 50 percent gray and make the vertical parallel lines in black so it shows up that part that looks like the normal pause mark.

I guess my point is that you probably want to keep the continuity of whatever you're going to go with. If boats, use all boats. If anchors, use all anchors (somehow). It just seems better designed and more communicative when done to one theme.

Clever idea you have there. I think they'll love it.

Edit: You didn't have the screen grab when I wrote this. The 2 tone gray would not work so well with that gray as a background.

Oh, I see Dakey "slipped" in ahead of me.

Thanks guys... keep the feedback coming!

I'm ignoring all the ideas, just working on them one by one. How is this for a different Pause idea?

David

Ok, another mock-up idea.

D.

Ooooh! I just had another idea.

What about using anchors at the ends, boats pointing the right directions for previous and next, and little red and green navigation lights for controlling the slideshow?

Update: No good. I don't like having those two spots of color in the interface. I do like the look of the ships, though.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by drzeller
    Ooooh! I just had another idea.

What about using anchors at the ends, boats pointing the right directions for previous and next, and little red and green navigation lights for controlling the slideshow?

D.
    Brilliant. . . just make sure the direction of the boat is clear. Brilliant!

In that case, I don't think I would mind seeing an anchor for stop/pause. Because it's clearly movement and halt. You have to look to see if it works though.

just my 2c but I like the combo of anchors at the ends and boats in the middle

the prev and next ones seem really clear but im not sure if at first glance id understand the upright ones (anchors) as first/last...i know i know 'tool tips' but im still imagining it can be clearer as a symbol

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~