ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Reducing Filesize After Returning from Photoshop

Reducing Filesize After Returning from Photoshop

Hi,

From time to time I like to export my ArtRage image to Photoshop and back again, usually to make simple layer transformations (i.e, repositioning elements, scaling, rotation, etc.) One problem I found is that the .ptg filesize will dramatically increase when the image is brought back from a .psd. Here's the solution I've been using:

When I'm working in ArtRage, I'll usually make the bottom most layer a paper-only layer and only draw on layers above it. This leaves me a lot of flexibility for reusing the artwork in different ways after I'm done. What I've found, however, is that Photoshop apparently embeds some extra data in the bottom layer that can unnecessarily increase the size of a .ptg when the image is imported from a .psd. My solution is simply to create new paper layer above the original paper layer, and then delete the old paper layer. When you resave the .ptg, the filesize will go back to it's nice tiny ArtRage size.

BTW, I'm obviously happy that AR2.5 will allow transforming 'cel' layers so I won't have to deal with this for much longer. Hope it's coming out soon!

Thanks guys, and keep up the fantastic work!

That's a very good tip!
    The reason the file size increases is because we have to export the paper as 'paint' for it to show up in Photoshop. Then when it's imported back into ArtRage your paper layer has become a layer filled with paint, rather than paper. (Blank paper doesn't take any space in ArtRage - we only need to store the paint for each layer)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

That explains another mystery: I was wondering why I couldn't change my paper color after importing from Photoshop. Thanks for the information!

Hi,

This reminds me, there is one simple feature I'd like to see added to ArtRage: the ability to lock layers from the layers panel. As mentioned earlier, I like to keep my base layer as a paper-only layer, so it's annoying when I accidentally drawing in that layer. Another situation: sometimes I like to designate layers as pencil-only, and then create a new paint-only layer, but occasionally I'll mess up and pencil or paint in the wrong layer. Lockable layers may help me around this.

Best regards,

D.R. Greenlaw