ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush size and recorder

Gallery
    View images

Brush size and recorder

First, I'm enjoying full version ArtRage2 quite a bit. I've never painted before, and this program gives me insight into what painters have to learn and know. But, as others have mentioned, a quick and convenient brush size changer would be nice. For those of use stuck with mouse inputters, I would really like it to be the middle mouse button. Since I'm unaware of any other use for it in your program, I think this would be good.

Second, for your fantasy professional version, I would like to suggest something that might be implausible, but that would be extremely cool, nonetheless. If you could record all the activities that an artist undertakes as they paint their picture, and save that to a file, it would be valuable as a teaching tool, and entertaining as well. It may also be a way for artists to make some extra income by selling these files as part of a teaching package. I've seen some things on this forum that I'd pay to see accomplished.

Just suggestions. By the way, this is the friendliest forum I've ever encountered.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey DFT, welcome to the forums! Your second suggestion is more possibility than fantasy, I believe. If I remember correctly (you'd have to search the forums for the exact post), Andy (AR dev) has told us that AR already internally records brush strokes, and has talked about the possibility of a scripting mechanism that would permit their realtime playback.

Cool, hunh? =]

- Gita

Gallery
    View images

Way ahead of me...

Ha! That is cool, G. We'd have Bob Ross's springing up all over the place. (I could definitely use some guidance.)

You know, after another session with AR, I started also thinking that it would be nice if a user could redefine keystrokes to their liking. When I draw, I go back and forth from pencil to eraser, and it would be nice if their were closely located, rather than a keyboard span away. Of course, when I change tools, I'd like to switch it to something else.

Thanks for the reply, G.

Gallery
    View images
    with recording, you mean as in actions (referring once again to Adobe Photoshop)?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Divian, are you asking me or DFT? I don't know what's in AR's future, only the dev team can answer that one, but no, that's not what I meant. Actions are recordings which affect the application directly, causing it to perform the steps previously recorded. What I was describing was a mechanism for recording the steps taken by the user to be played back later for passive viewing, like using Wink or Camtasia Studio to record a tutorial -- a video screenshot of sorts.

- Gita

Gallery
    View images
    JustG I was talking to threadstarter or anyone who was heading the idea in a same direction. Considering your post, It could be that AR2 would take too much data while recording those steps. As an add on, this could maybe be great, but the way I see it, this could be a RAM eater :wink: (but like the idea though).

Gallery
    View images
    Actually a recorder would probably make sense to the ArtRage team on a development level. The recordings that are made could be used to show bugs. On top of that a bunch of recordings could become a test suite so that the developers know they aren't breaking something that has been working (a recording replaying differently would show that). This could be very helpful to the development team and its users especially as ArtRage grows and becomes more complex.

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, I agree with you bcmillustrator.
    We really do need a good scripting system. Even if we dont make it available to the end users, it would be *so* handy for debuggering code.
    When we were working on Painter 9, it was so handy for the QA dept to send us a script saying 'run this, there's the bug', instanty repeatable.
    There's a stroke bug in ArtRage driving me nuts. It shows up randomly, once every 10 - 20 strokes, on tight corners - there will be a one pixel rendering bug. Finding that without a scripting system is impossible.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Andy,

The one pixel thing.
    I've been getting rid of those with PS Elements de-speckle. It happens often when I've done a lot of Large Blending across big sky pictures. This involves a side to side movement like sqeegeeing a window, running off the canvas at both sides. Usually with the 0% Palette knife.
    Suddenly there are a few well spaced contrasting pixels.
    It is so random!

Even I, as an ArtRage Luddite, can see that scripting is the answer. The problem for the user is that even firms like Microsoft leave it live in the end product. I still get little Debug boxes popping up from XP.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.