ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't export with transparency to png

Gallery
    View images

Can't export with transparency to png

I've been using ArtRage for a while now and I'm really liking it, however I've hit a snag - I can't seem to export my work with transparency.

My drawings aren't particularly complicated - I've just got a few layers with outline/fill/shading, and a background layer with a bg colour. If I export as png with the background enabled it works as expected. If I delete/turn off the background then exporting gives me a png with no alpha/transparency, but instead the background is filled with the grey and white checkerboard pattern.

The manual suggests that this should work, is this a bug or do I need to do something special when exporting?

I'm using a registered version of 2.05 on WinXP Tablet Edition.

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    im not sure how to get around that within artrage..but i know you can export as a psd and save it as a png with photoshop. ..havent tried it but i assume that *should* work
    HUZZAH!

Gallery
    View images
    So it'll export with transparency correctly to a .psd? That would be a nice workaround except for one (fairly major) snag: I don't have photoshop. I've tried loading it into Paint Shop Pro 8, but it just returns the error "This is not a valid PSD file". :evil:

Gallery
    View images
    well orangy i tried out exporting as a png and it worked.....

heres my evil cow...it doesnt really show up here but i turned the background layer off and it didnt export with the checkers...the white is actually transparent...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled_213.png 
Views:	400 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	895  
    HUZZAH!

Gallery
    View images
    you can download "The GIMP" for free, it can open PSD files and is quite a nice image editor, http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    Interesting, can you post the .ptg so I can have a go at exporting it myself? I'll post my own .ptg, it'd be good if you could try exporting that too to see if you get the same problem.

Edit: seems the forum doesn't like .ptg, so I've added a .png extension, you'll have to remove that for it to work (AlphaTest.ptg).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery
    View images
    orangy, could you email me the .ptg? angrypotato@aol.com
    HUZZAH!

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, the forum doesn't like me confusing it with extension renaming, so I've uploaded it here:
    http://www.orangytang.net/Junk/AlphaTest.ptg

Which when exported, gives the following (non transparent) png:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test_122.png 
Views:	358 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	898  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Orangy.
    Can you confirm which version of ArtRage you're using? The .png exporter went through a change between 2.05 and 2.11
    Note that if you export the entire image (from the file menu), it'll be against paper (in the latest version of ArtRage).
    If you want it to appear transparent in the .png file or the .psd file, make the paper transparent before you export. If it's just a single layer you want to export, you can also 'export layer' from the popup menu next to the layer in the layer stack.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I get a transparent background when I export your painting as a PNG.

Don't get mad at this questions, but how are you determining that there is a checkerboard pattern? If you are looking at the exported file in a program that automatically shows transparency with a checkerboard... then you'll see that pattern. For example, in Photoshop, I see the checkerboard when I open the exported PNG file from AR. If I put a layer behind it and draw or fill, I see your writing on top of the new background layer, and the checkerboard is no longer visible in the areas I just added color to.

I attached an image that is a screenshot from a three-layer file in Photoshop. In the image, I have:

On top layer - the exported png on the top layer (with some red paint I added in AR before I exported it),

On the next lower layer - some light blue paint (from Photoshop) -- note that you can see checkerboard through it, and

On the bottom layer, it is half filled with dark blue and half transparent -- the transparent part shown by the checkerboard.

I hope this made sense.

D.
    Attached Images Attached Images