Thread: suggestions please my first try

Gallery
    View images

suggestions please my first try

This is my first painting ever. Most of it was painted with a mose; until I got a WACOM tablet for Fathers Day. I am still working on it and would appreciate any suggestions. From some of the beautiful work I have seen thus far on the Forum, I know my art has a long way to go; but am thoroughly enjoying ArtRage. (and a little GIMP too)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	janasarah_edited_2_197.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	7971  

Gallery
    View images
    It's quite beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing. You have a very interesting style that is really cool.

Gallery
    View images
    Very clear in subject.

Nice.

Your look will follow what you're thinking. Right now you seem to be thinking of your subject almost exclusively. So that is pretty much all that's in the painting -- which is fine/good.

There's a lot of paintings that are done along these lines. They are generally unschooled, and thus take on a look of their own. You can see them historically in things like wood signs from the colonial days in America to Grandma Moses.

I think this is a marvelous first painting.

Whether you move in the direction of learning the tricks of making things look realistic, or you explore your own path -- applying what you learn in each painting to your next, it will all be valuable.

I've painted both ways. Sometimes I wish I had relied more on the look that was coming from inside me when more naive and had seen where that took me, because I aborted some interesting stylistic directions in favor of a purely academic grounding.

You have a similar choice. But unless somebody is paying you and telling you precisely what they want, or you anticipate being in that place, it's entirely yours to make.

Just remember that there is a huge value in developing a personal look, especially when there's all these tools that make technically correct painting comparatively easy.

But there are arguments both ways.

Keep painting.

Gallery
    View images

Thank you!!!!

Thank you for your kind words. This painting was a labor of love for me because it is my Wife and daughter holding hands in a field of Texas Bluebonnets (aged -20 years). They were done with old photos as reference images.

I am strictly painting for the sheer relaxation and enjoyment, but I see what you mean. At some point in time I might want to become more realistic in my painting. I am particularly having trouble with trees, and water and hands. Hopefully I can find some tutorials to help me improve.

Thanks Jerren

Gallery
    View images
    Keep the fun in it. That's the key!

Very nice. A tip, if you like:
    For the grass, you should paint the strokes normally (ie without worrying about background grass overlapping your subjects) rather than stopping short and then filling the gap with green. You'll have better results if you simply paint over the grass strokes that overlap on the dress.