ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to scumble in artrage? is it possible?

how to scumble in artrage? is it possible?

anyone know of a way to get a scumbling effect, hmm how to describe it, as if you're pushing down on the brush very firmly and the bristles splay out in all directions as you quickly change the direction of the brush back and forth? hope this makes sense
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

:? i think that isn't possible yet. May be you can fake the effect with the knife!
    Ps: Andy it's your turn :P

Greez

I really miss that for doing backgrounds for portraits.

If you put two similar colours around with the brush and then use the palette knife on 0% it can look like scumbling. but overdo it and it carves out crop circles in the paint.

Using a very large eraser gently over a thinly painted canvas is another temporary measure. If you make the canvas one shade and the paint slightly darker or lighter it sort of works.

But none of this lets you creep progressively closer to the object with a nicely graded scumble.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Can one of you post an example of either the effect from another program (or picture), or your results from the techniques above? I am curious what you are talking about, and I cannot picture it in my mind.

Thanks,
    D.

yeah i've been trying to use the knife to get that effect but it's a bit too sharp and dramatic

have a look at this
    and this

http://www.fauxtoday.com/imagepages/jacket.html

This is a large scale version but it shows the idea.

Lots of portrait painters have a mix of scumbled colours in the background. It doesn't make sense to the eye. So if you want a dark bit of the picture to stand out you lighten the scumble. and vice versa. The viewer only seems to latch onto the contrasting area. So everything seems to be forward of the background.

Hi Thesleepless,

Your example points up another thing I can't simulate.

Doing a full underpainting and then glazing the colour onto it.

Anybody solved that yet?

i havent tried, but in the full version maybe by using transparent layers on top of the underpainting? but i haven't got the full version yet so i can't try it *saves pennies*

Thanks, sleepless and Aged P. I'm not sure the jacket example from Aged P exactly matches what I picked up from sleepless' links, but I think I get the idea.

Thanks again!

D.

10. In the older version of Art Rage 2, you could scumble by setting the brush loading to 0%, but the newer version seems to have lost it. : (