ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial for photo manipulating...

Tutorial for photo manipulating...

Anyone know of any good tutorials for manipulating photos into paintings? Since purchasing ArtRage several months ago I'm still using Paint Shop Pro ver 9 and Artweaver to create images like below...

No matter how hard I try in ArtRage I can not get any satisfactory results like I can in PSP or Artweaver. I've also been playing with a trial of Painter Essentials which also produces satisfactory results..

I do everything by hand using a photo and do not use "auto-paint" features...

I need a tutorial to get ArtRage off the shelf where it's gathering dust... Please assist....

TIA

Kenmo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vetteart_246.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	7935  

I think for doing what you are doing Photoshop would be the best tool. I think AR is better suited for painting. Having said that... a couple suggestions...
    when you paste a photo on a background look for little black pixels they call "fringe" and try to eliminate it. Either do a closer job of selecting the border or some use the remove black matte feature or the "defringe" feature in Photoshop. I played with your image a bit in Photoshop... see what you think...
    Steps I did: 1) cut the car off the background 2) smoothed out the background behind the car 3)cut out the shadow 4) cut out the window areas that were smudged to allow the new background to show through 5) burned some of the red areas, license plate and chrome bumper. with the burn tool 6) made the shadow a little more transparent 7) touched up some pixelated areas around the birds 8)added a little purple to the sky in a low opacity layer 9) added the little knob on top the antenna 10) smoothed some of the rock area near the beach 11) made the reflection in the rear view mirror more like the sky-not so gray. Made a copy of the car layer. Ran a filter called Paint Daubs which gave me a layer without the black edges... then I borrowed those edges (just the edges) and then merged with the other car layer. I hope you like it. If you would like the Photoshop file let me know and I will email it to you. The original image had some pixel anomalies in it... did what I could to smooth those out. I did run a couple gaussian blurs on the background at .2 setting. also adjusted levels on the car layer to darken a bit.

Name:	vetteart_246_copy_152.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	7939  

i'm with gzairborne...

photoshop or gimp would be a good tool...there are some really good functions (layer transforming and filters)....

but the only thing you really need for real looking compositions is a good understatement how the things work (like shadows, lighting, reflection)....

greez

btw: this is not a photo :wink:
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gzairborne... Wow... I like what you did... I can see an huge improvement in the image...

Yes...please send me the Photoshop file...

Maror.... The Vette was from a photo I shot with my digital camera at a local car show. The beech and sky I recreated in Vue Esprit and merged with the Vette photo... I then used Artweaver to brush (smear with bristles) over the Vette and background...

Can this be done with Artrage (what I did with Artweaver)...???

Thanks muchly....

Kenmo

This image I just completed a few weeks ago and originally posted to Renderosity.

It is a photo of one of my diecast models I shot with my digital camera and merged with a Vue rendered sky. The grass and ground were hand painted by me and the seagulls are free stock photos at http://www.sxc.hu/.

Other then Vue I used Paint Shop Pro for compositing and Artweaver to give it a brushed look... I was hoping I could do this with Artrage...

Cheers

Kenmo

Name:	vwart_154.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	7943  

ops: a photo??? looks like a 3d modell to me... i think i was just to clean!
    that's a point for you :lol:

you can do the brush look by tracing your image in artrage...so you can get pretty good results...

greez
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Here's an another example of what I'm doing. I also included the before photo and the after image... I shot the original photo of my own 1960 in the backyard and using Artweaver created the final...

Name:	myvetteart_726.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	7946  

My original photo....

What...no replies with tutorials?

It's sorta been said -- ArtRage isn't the tool for this look. Not yet.

The next revision may take you into that ballpark. But it's still more traditional materials related.

You can anticipate stencils and rulers and other tools that make mechanical work more do-able, But you would perhaps have to break the ground yourself and be the first one with a tutorial. It's that new to this program (as in 'soon to be released').

ArtRage's strengths are along the lines of what you see in the forums. If you see a painting that is in line with what you're after you could perhaps ask that artist.

Meanwhile there are plenty of programs that are more in line with the look you're after. And tutorials abound in the places specific to those programs.

I'm a Photoshop guy for my tight work, so I also would point you there.

Your stuff looks great. Must be nice to have a passion for a genre. Will help you focus on learning the specific chops that you're after -- straight lines, clean curves, reflections that fade and get sharper, candy apple-ing, doing chrome, ellipses and all that happy stuff that are the characteristics of the look you're heading toward.

But keep the door open here with Artrage for the next revision which should be out any time now. I think you'll find a lot to play with, if 'play' is the right word in your case. I get that you have a specific end you're out to achieve, rather than in experimenting.

Why not get a book on how to do car illustrations and see what they do to get what you are after. Then compare/try programs that allow you to create it that way -- where each step is clearly defined, like engineering. Like 1, 2, 3.

In school, the best car illustrations always came out of the industrial design department. While the art majors were experimenting and taking years to explore materials and looks, the design guys just learned how to make cars come to life in a few steps.

Their chrome hubcaps were perfect every time like they were rolling off the assembly line in Detroit. Their sense of volume and shiny paint were perfection. But that's all they were after in that regard. They wanted to sell their designs, and so they were more focused on art as a means to an end. Very narrow and linear and very effective.

You, however, may create a new look for car illustration by combining the tools and techniques you will soon have available. Get ready to be the new kid on the block. And you'll be singing "Shut em down, shut em down, buddy gonna shut you down. . ."