ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any help with water please?

Gallery
    View images

any help with water please?

Hi! I can't paint real looking water. Or at least I'm not good at it. Can anyone give me advise or some help? Thanks by advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Wikash,

There's a thread about this. Maybe you can check it out.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=4314

Or visit the tutorial central, there're lots of nice demonstrations.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=3767

Hope they help and keep have fun with AR.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you! I'm going to take a look now.
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Allright, here's another try. This time I menaged to make it more like how I paint with real paint. But it's still not good..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sea2_622.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	7811  
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Short answer: Don't use single green color.

Long answer: Go out and actually *look* at the water. You will find that open water, like the sea, has at least three colors.

One, usually green, brown, or whatever, depending on the murkiness of the water, depth, and color of the bottom, where you can see the water itself.

Another color is in the reflection of the sky. That depends on the color of the sky, of course; on a clear day it is bluish. On wavy water this forms crisp patterns. It is more pronounced when the sun is behind you than when it is before you. The smaller the angle of sight, the more reflective the water is; you see almost no reflection under your feet, you see 100% reflection at the horizon (but not at sea, where small waves always make some proper color seen).

The third color is seen in highlights from the sun (when it can be seen); it is the same color as the sun - white at noon, reddening at evening. Since you only see it where the water surface reflects the sun exactly in your eye, these highlights are usually tiny chaotic spots.

Where the water is thick enough you can see the sunlight shining through it. This is especially true of tall waves, where this internal scattering often takes place of the transparent proper color.

Foam, when not seen close up, behaves as simple white substance, not reflective at all.

Above all, when not sure of how to paint something, go look at it and analyze what makes it look like itself. There are no magic bullets and no shortcuts to fake it.

Gallery
    View images
    Arenhaus, thank you for your reaction.
    I find it more difficult to paint seawater than calm lakes or pools. Moving water is just too complex for me to paint with the knowledge about painting if have now. Drawing disturbed water is a bit easier..
    This midday I'm going to try a rough sea again.

Here is a painting of calm water I just made.
    First I made the cloud and its reflection. That didn't went as well as the grass and the tree on the right wich I painted afterwards.

Name:	lake_161.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	7826  
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Ok now I've made my third sea. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make it look better? And am I doing this sea-thing in the right way? Maybe I'm using the right technique the wrong way..

Name:	sea3_107.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	7831  
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Let's talk a little more about water. What it wants to do more than anything is to lie flat. Why don't you try doing that kind of water first and work your way up to water that is being acted on by outside forces (wind, currents, rocks, gravity etc). Arenhaus is right on by saying that you have to know what you want to represent looks like. If you don't have access to lakes, rivers etc where you are, you can always Google images and use them as references.

Gallery
    View images
    Allrighty, thank you RobertSwade.
    Then this is my last post in this topic for now. I'll practice till magic happens!
    Tu Long

Gallery
    View images
    Today I went somewhere with my dad. As we drove on the highway I saw some landscapes I wanted to paint. This is the first of them. It's not done yet but I just realised the water looks already quite real. I think I'm beginning to learn it a little bit.

Name:	holland_146.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	7903  
    Tu Long