ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tree Tutorial

Tree Tutorial

Here's how to make a corny looking pine tree, using the magical combination of chalk and cockled paper. This is a not-so-secret approach to painting trees, but it's so fast in ArtRage that I had to share.

1. Make a new canvas with cockled paper...maybe make it a bit darker than pure white. You'll see why later. Use very dark brown chalk (I used 70% pressure) to strike a vertical line representing the main post of the tree.

2. Using the same tool settings (70% pressure chalk), select a very dark, mostly desaturated green. Make a tree shape, but don't be precise...let it be loose and organic.

3. Hmm...this wasn't planned well. I wanted to move lighter and lighter, but on step three I clearly went a bit darker. I did this to punch in some shadows, so you can do it too.

4. Ahh, okay, here we are. Turn up the saturation and lightness a bit on that same green, and, with less pressure than before, "feather" the tree where light would hit it. Don't be too delicate, though, because we have a couple more gradations to go.

5. and 6. Gradually saturating and lightening the green, I stroked a criss-cross pattern to pop out the upper and outer branches of the tree. I consciously wobbled the strokes so that they don't look contrived and crappy.

7. Surprise! I added snow. Same technique, just with white. This is why I didn't use white paper. You know, so you can see the snow. This is an optional step if you prefer a warmer climate.

8. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, turn off the cockled paper texture so that no one knows that you cheated.

Hope someone likes it!

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_tutorial_640.jpg 
Views:	9818 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	874  

Djmez,

Very nice tutorial..

I'll try soon as i can...

Weeks

Nice tutorial. Thanks for putting it together.

D.

Hi David. This is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial, and welcome to the forums!

- Gita

Re: Tree Tutorial

Really nice for newbie like me who loves painting but don't know anything.

This is my first painting I would say except school days things.