ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: how paper/canvas layer works

Gallery
    View images

how paper/canvas layer works

I'm wondering how the paper/canvas or bottom layer works. There's a bottom layer that is your "paper/canvas", then every layer on top of that is like a cel, but it still gets the paper's texture. So if I delete the paper layer, and "cel" layers above it, is there a way to make a new paper/canvas layer? or do I have to paint a layer white and merge them?

Ther is only a menu option to make a new cel type layer, not bring back the paper layer. Or is the paper/canvas layer litterally just a white painted canvas?

my question simplified is, if you delete the white bottom layer, is there a way to get it back later? like create new opaque layer.

Gallery
    View images
    You can change the transparency of the paper of any layer (independently of changing the opacity of the whole layer).

Open your layer stack, click the left-pointing arrow to bring up the layer menu.
    Select 'Edit paper settings'

Using the opacity radial you can change the transparency of the paper, on any layer, to anything you want. You can also change paper colour, metallics, roughness and so on.

If you like you can have wildly different paper textures on each layer - if there are special paper effects you want.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi, figured I'd reply to this old topic rather than making a new (redundant) one.

I know that Artrage mirrors "real" world painting but ...

I would like to have a grid-like structure with no texture (cel transparent layer) lay on top of a painting that has concrete texture. This doesn't seem doable because the cel layer (with 0 opacity) picks up the concrete texture.

Is there any way to achieve this (other than exporting to photoshop or something)?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Jonella,

No need to export to do that. So, you want a smooth transparent layer above a textured layer?

Right click the top layer ( the one you want to be smooth ), click 'Edit Paper Settings', choose 'cel' from the list of presets.

or:

Right click the top layer, set the opacity to 0%. Set the roughness to 0% ( This gives you the same effect ).

I'm imagining that currently you're making your opacity 0% for that layer, but while it's transparent, unless you also set the roughness to 0%, it will still have texture. Either of the options above should do the trick if I'm understanding what you're looking for correctly.

I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, what you are saying is what I was doing. Top layer cel paper setting with 0 opacity and bottom layer with a texture and 100% opacity. But what happens is that the top layer picks up the texture of the bottom layer.

A screenshot's attached. Perhaps what I want is not possible (but I did follow what you said)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry, my mistake. I see what you mean.

When you have a rough base layer, then you add a smooth layer above, the paint on the top layer is smooth ( To see this, try hiding your background layer by clicking the eye icon ). The background canvas has a texture though and therefore any transparent layers you place down on top of it will conform to its contours ( like putting down a plastic sheet on corrugated iron ).

To do what you want to do, you're right - The best method once you're done with your background layer would be to right click your background layer, export the layer as a PNG or other lossless format, then go to File -> Import image to layer and import the PNG file. Drag it to the bottom of the layer stack and remove the old background layer.

Make sure that the base layer has 0% roughness by Editing its paper settings

Make sure that layers above are using the 'cel' preset by editing their paper settings.

You should then have smooth paint on all layers above the background.

Note: When doing this, as your background layer is an image, it's imported as thick paint. Any further painting on this layer will look smooth as there's no actual canvas texture.

Here's a quick example image. The red stroke is on the background layer, blue stroke on layer 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you. I understand now. It would be neat however, to have the effect that I wanted. Meaning the textures on each transparent layer override the previous layer.