Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Tips and Tricks forum!

Welcome to the Tips and Tricks forum!

If you have a tutorial, want to share some information on art techniques or general tips for using ArtRage, here's the place to post it!

Likewise feel free to request similar information, you never know if someone out there has already written a handy guide for just that thing you wanted to do!

Question Confused!

That would be nice! I havent had Art Rage for very long and love coming on and looking for inspiration! There are some REALLY talented people! But I don't know how to post my own work on, I have set up some folders in my profile, but how do I get my work into them!?! Please help, what do I do next!

(edited later)
    I think I have kind of figured how I add on to forums but when I tried it said I needed a different extension, jpg e.t.c but mine is ptg and wouldnt add! I went onto artrage but it wouldnt let me save it with a different extension, has anyone else had this problem or am I missing a trick, maybe someone a bit more advanced could help! very sorry!
    Last edited by 1smiley; 08-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.

In the "file menu" there is a heading called "Export as Image".

You must export the artwork from ArtRage, instead of "saving" the artwork you "export" it instead, you can choose many files formats, but the one your after is .jpg this will allow you to upload a picture of your artwork to the forums.Please don't forget to save the painting 1st as a .PTG file as this is the native file format for ArtRage

I will endeavor to post an image of the menu's today or perhaps find the other thread where i gave this answer.
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 [email protected]

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Talking thank you

Thank You! This is very helpful! (but knowing me I will probably be back with more questions very soon!!!)

And something very random, I totally agree, the Bamboo fun is WAY BETTER than the bamboo, I love mine and am always using it, so much so that when I go to use a mouse it feels really strange!

Welcome to the Tips and Tricks forum

dorwin29 wrote:1 Don’t spend more money then you have. Buy only things you really need.
    2 Use cash if possible. You will not be getting a deal if you use credit cards. Think of the interest you will pay evey month.
    3 Make sure the store has plenty of security. Just in case someone tries to snatch the last blue-ray player out of your hand.
    4 Just don’t buy something because it’s cheap. Go for quality merchandise that will last and keep your receipt.
    5 You can always shop online.

Good tips. Although it never fails...Im the worst when it comes to buying something just because its cheap. Not neccessarily poor quality...but a good deal on something we really dont need.

Does anyone know how I can make my ArtRage 4 pieces a higher resolution? For Deviant art and Etsy selling/printing?

Also, When i create a stencil, how come it wont let me use the 'bucket filler' properly? it just fills up the whole page rather than inside of my custom made stencil, yet it works properly for the ArtRage 4 stencils provided.
    *i have double checked all my lines and they all connect*

Quote Originally Posted by MeggerzTouch View Post
    Does anyone know how I can make my ArtRage 4 pieces a higher resolution? For Deviant art and Etsy selling/printing?

You'd need to create the image on a higher pixel count canvas. When you sit down to create an image, go to File > New Painting and then click on the "Print Size" tab at the top of the "New Painting" Panel. Input the dimensions you expect to print at (or even double it, if your computer can handle the load; the larger, the better, since you can always downscale them, but you can't always upscale). Since you printing, you should probably use a 300 DPI setting (though some members here say they've had decent results with only 150, but again, higher is better). How large you can work, will depend on the power of you computer system, however.

Also, When i create a stencil, how come it wont let me use the 'bucket filler' properly? it just fills up the whole page rather than inside of my custom made stencil, yet it works properly for the ArtRage 4 stencils provided.
    *i have double checked all my lines and they all connect*
    Before do anything else, check out the stencil to see if it's red, white, or blue. If it's blue, it's set up to be a "Guide" stencil, which means the tools will bleed beneath it. Right click the stencil and set it to use a "Ruler" (white) or "Stencil" (red) mode. They'll both keep the paint retained (assuming the stencil is set up properly; read below).

The stencil system works off of images (so any image may be imported into ArtRage as stencil). The images are interpreted by the stencil system as being black and white (even if they have color in them). The darker the area is on the image, the more paint will be allowed through that area when used as a stencil. The lighter an area is, the less paint will be allowed through. So a pure black spot on an image, will allow the most paint through it, while a pure white spot on an image, will complete block an paint from getting through. So this means any areas of the image that would be grey, will allow only a certain degree of paint through as a stencil (the darker the grey, the more paint allowed through). It's a lot like screen printing.

So, assuming you had the stencil set up as a "Stencil" mode stencil (colored red)... my guess is that your stencil doesn't have a completely white border, which is allow the paint to spill out into the "grey" areas and out over the rest of the canvas. If you don't believe that's the case, then perhaps you could post the image (the one you're using for the stencil), so we can see what it looks.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you so much! I was getting so frustrated with my stencils I was about to just give up and throw my tablet haha! good thing my husband was there to stop me

Yeah, I can not seem to get it to work right, not sure if I have a failing pregnant brain or what. Here is one of the images I have been trying to turn into a stencil. Name:  drip1 as jpg.jpg
Views: 7338
Size:  36.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MeggerzTouch View Post
    Yeah, I can not seem to get it to work right, not sure if I have a failing pregnant brain or what. Here is one of the images I have been trying to turn into a stencil.
    Okay, here's what you're probably looking to accomplish:

Name:  drip.jpg
Views: 4051
Size:  19.7 KB

...and here's some pointers for them:

• It's usually a good idea to turn off the 3D lighting in ArtRage when making stencil, because otherwise the canvas will be brighter on one side. Turning it off, will also remove the canvas texture, which is good, because in most cases you won't want the texture in the stencil anyway.
    ♦ To turn off the lighting by going to View → Canvas Settings and un-checking the "Canvas Lighting" option.

• As shown in the image above, you want the areas where paint should go through, to be dark. The darker the area is, the more paint will spill through. So an area with Pure Black will allow the fullest amount of paint through it. If an area is a shade of grey, it will only allow a certain amount of paint through it.

• Any area that is a Pure White, will completely block paint from getting through. Borders should always be Pure White.

Here's an example of it in use:

• NOTE: The highlights and shadows were added by hand, using the Airbrush. Because the stencil was in place, I didn't have to worry about going outside of the lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stencil show.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	81334
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.