ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: importing png, paint thinkness is always 100%?

importing png, paint thinkness is always 100%?

i am exporting my image to png, taking to the gimp and resizing the canvas so i've got more room to work in since artrage doesn't have a canvas resize, when i import it back into artrage its as if the entire image is coated in paint, is there a way to export / import the paint thickness as a separate layer?

There's no way to save the paint thickness information out separately when exporting. The parameters in ArtRage painting files that we use to keep track of details regarding paint and other media ( paint wetness, thickness, bump and so on ) aren't supported by the export formats I'm afraid.

However, if you're using the ArtRage 2 full version, you can resize the canvas - Edit menu -> Resize Canvas.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Okay thanks for that,

Although wouldn't it be possible to store all that information in a TIFF file using multiple IFDs? baseline readers would just read the first IFD, you could store the thumbnail and background texture as separate IFDs just like you do with the PNG files inside the PTG file, and you could store the paint wetness, thickness, bump, etc as new SamplesPerPixel and ExtraSamples in the main IFD.

If you ever decide to release the specs for PTG i'll happily attempt to make a PTG to TIFF converter as it'd be very useful to be able to take an image from artrage to the gimp or photoshop for all sorts of editing that they are designed for and then take them back without losing data.
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

I would guess it would be possible.

Even to save it as an xml or tekst file assosiated witht he image file you exported. But what happens if you alter the painting in any way in photoshop or painter or another program? What is in the information file will not then corrospond with what is acutal seen in the image and thus the information will be obsolete.

I don't think this is a trivial thing at all.

There were a number of reasons to use a custom file format, and future versions of ArtRage are likely to use even stranger internal storage as we move away from bitmaps. So we didn't want to get tied into trying to fit our data into a standard model.
    There are several things on the 'to do' list to make it easier to transport data between applications, however.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

okay, what about a small option to set all paint thickness to 0% instead of 100% when importing?
    because the problem i have is when i import the image when i try to overpaint it i end up with huge dents in the image and it's rather difficult to add new paint cleanly making import image while not entirely useless, makes it quite frustrating to use

It's a good question, and touches on part of the fundamental design principles of ArtRage.
    One of the things we tried to avoid with ArtRage was having too many settings and controls available - which can be quite intimidating for people new to digital painting. So instead we tried to make decisions about how most people would want to use each feature, and hide as much as possible.

There are often work-arounds more technical people can use if they need to. With importing an image, ArtRage will set the paint thickness to 0% if there is *any* transparency in the image, or leave it thick if the image is entirely opaque. So if you absolutely need a thin image, and you need to paint into the same layer you've imported it, take the image into Photoshop, erase a 1 pixel transparent hole somewhere in the image, export it as a .png or .psd, then import it into ArtRage. The paint will be thinly spread over the canvas, rather than thick and filling in all the canvas bump.
    Alternatively, paint on a layer above the imported thick image. The paint above wont interact with the layer below.
    You could also use the 'instadry' option on the oil tool if you want to lay down a lot of colour overtop the imported image.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

ahh wonderful that does the trick, i was thinking there might be something like that, thanks =)