ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: MosaicExperiment

MosaicExperiment

This is just a few minutes experiment! I believe You can produce very nice mosaics/ religious icons with Artrage (by far better than this one). It's vaguely inspired by reminiscence of Bizantine ones in Ravenna (Italy).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosaicexperimentchristpantocrator_180.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	7554  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nice i like it.
    Visit my web gallery
    "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom"

Too kind of You. I think it's not that good, an 10-15 minutes test without inspiration.
    Sooner or later I will try a more "serious" mosaic-style composition. I'll have a quick review and analysis of ancient roman and bizantine mosaics and make my mind.

Hi Caesar,

I would be cautious of the cross in the halo. It would be better light value perhaps to make it say 'this is a radiating light'.

The dark brown puts it on the same level as the robe because the colors between the halo and the robe are very similar.

They may have done that in antiquity, and you may be modeling this from a specific mosaic. Otherwise, you could improve a little on that because it looks somewhat solid.

Keep going! Clever idea to think in terms of mosaics.

More like sand painting than a mosaic.

(Mosaic proper consists of colored blocks set side by side, not piled in a mass. Try Painter for digital simulation of mosaics - I don't think ArtRage has any tool fit for the technique unless you draw every stone by hand.)

You're right. This is what You discover if You have more than one pass. Thank You.
    Nonetheless I still believe You might produce something interesting with some exercise such as a "divisionist painting". Obviously You might need more than one layer, a big sheet, a small enough glitter grain, proper grain shapes and some other trick we should discover.
    Sooner or later I'll try unless someone else already tested it extensively and can exclude it may work.

How about simply painting your subject in broad, flattish colors with some variability, and then use a thin black marker on top to draw the grout lines? Would take a lot of time, but much less time than attempting to place the glitter precisely.

Usingmore layers it would be an even easier way perhaps. We'll see later on perhaps when I'm willing to risk a new failure.