ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Turmoil

Cold Turmoil

I'm not to happy with the drawing as is so I figured I'd ask for some opinions.

The man is supposed to be standing out in the cold with a snowy back ground. But the background doesn't seem right. Maybe I'm just being silly.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks good. It's so stylized blocky that articulating specific effects would be a challenge.

It's somewhat ambiguous right now. Nice, but for example, I thought it might be an icon of someone like the Mary praying because of the positions of the hands a little and the thing on the head reminded me of a veil because of the simplicity of shape. Also blue is the traditional color for the Madonna. I don't look at something this broad for subtlety. So I'm cross associating, trying to see what general impression I get from the overall look.

Now since you said what you did I can read it as a guy with a hooded top in the snow. But I had to be told.

I think there are a couple things that would say winter -- like snowflakes, curvey whitish lines indicating wind, evergreens, etc. Those would make it clearer. A little corny but clearer because it's emblematic of those themes.

But it's so broad in strokes it may be hard to get that level of detail to read.

Anyway, just to look at it without a specific intention of subject, I think it's a cool effect. Might be useful in other situations when you get more ideas how to maximize the effectiveness in later paintings. Perhaps varying the sizes of the tiles in places so as to be able to indicate detail or simply for design purposes.

Keep going! Nice work.

Thanks D Akey.

It is a bit of a corny picture so I think I'll give it a go and try to add some wind swirls. I tried snow already but it just did't work very well.

It's kind of funny that you saw something completly different in it. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and let everyone else figure out what it is.

I might consider smaller strokes in the future. I was really just goofing off with this picture and didn't want to take forever to get it done. Just my way of learning what I can do with artrage I guess.

Thanks agian

Hi Fractured-ray - This is quite a unique style of painting and I like it. Reminds me of the pictures made from other images, like using postage stamps for the color elements.

I think that this doesn't quite read as snow in the background because the lightest snow is darker than the hi-lite on the face. I would think that sun lit snow would be a lot brighter than a sun lit face. Just a guess.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Ah, good point jvolkel. I'll try to fix the dark snow tonight, just needed a break.

It's kind of funny. I had actually seen a book on Pompeii at the store and looked at the mosaic art. I didn't reallized I was being inspired till I was half way finished with the background. Subliminal inspiration, I wounder if that's common.

Hi guys, this is the latest. I tried adding the wind swirling by but it looked off. I think the main problem was that the right color to do it in was white, so it ended up dissapearing into the back ground and then standing out a whole lot in front of the man. So I just forced myself to work on the back ground till it looked good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nailed it!

Perfect. Definitely snow! Colors were the difference. Clouds like this also definitely get away from an icon. Nice wintery one.

Thanks D Akey!

Yup, I'll run with that. There is definitely more of a feeling of coldness to the background now.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

That is close to pointilism... guess it is rectanglism. I like it. It is a very fun piece to look at.