ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Really basic painting process question.

Really basic painting process question.

Hi, there,

Let me just say if it wasn't for ArtRage, I may have abandoned color work altogether. I am a self-taught artist and have traditional drawing ability that has been considered praiseworthy.

However, on my first attempt at traditional (acrylic) painting, the results were so bad that, well, I kind of gave up on it (okay, not "kind of"), not wanting to go through that experience again. Or at least creating a hundred lousy paintings (if you could call them that) and spending countless money on painting supplies. Considering my drawing skills were "quite alright" this only added to my frustration.

So I kind of resigned myself to *not* creating anything with color.

Enter ArtRage.

I bought the program only after going through this forum and noticing the help and encouragement (and sometimes even professional work) throughout. Obviously having a program, you don't waste money on art supplies due to "experimentation". (Quotes intentional.)

So, now that I am getting both my inspiration and courage to do work in color back, I can't help but wonder if someone here would kindly share a few general guidelines (or heck, even specific steps) on basic (ArtRage) painting process.

For instance, here are my concerns:

* Do you only (generally) work on one layer? If so, how do you keep things from blending by "accident". (Same tone to quotes as above.) I haven't used the program much yet, so this may just be obvious.

* Do you do an entire drawing first and then fill in the areas with your color choices, kind of like a paint by number? Or do the entire background first and work your way "forward"?

* Obviously I know that you could always have most of it completed in pencil form, even if it's not drawn and scanned in.

It makes sense to start off with "copying" from reference material and similar things just to learn how the program best functions. I know if I learned some kind of "best process" type of things, though, at first, I'd save much inner torture and confusion and maybe even do something worthy of an "ooh or ahh" on this forum.

Until then, I know I've got a lot of work to do.

Thanks to all who can point me into the right direction on how to start the best way.

Have a super good day, everyone, and thanks for allowing me to post something so long on this forum!

- A

Hi,

There are a lot of really fine examples of how different artists approach their work. All depends on the look you're after.

The Tips n' Tricks forum has lots of such step by step tutorials for a whole painting as well as how to use a particular feature.

Might want to look up one in particular by Waheed Nasser on painting a parrot or some tropical bird. Haven't seen it in a while.

They revamped the site, so I don't know what became of it.

Generally painting with ArtRage needn't be a formulaic thing. Just use your artistic sensibilities and paint.

If you gave up on acryllics after one go, you may want to consider approaching this playfully. Will make your 20 dollar investment last longer for you.

:lol:

Welcome. Join in the fun.

Hi angelic

One thing to know is this: ArtRage will save you a lot of money for practice of painting skills. But when it comes to color, ArtRage unfortunately has a shortcoming: The color mixin model is that of a computer, not traditional color pigments. So some of the color mixing tricks you will learn using AR is not applicable IRL.

That said - still it is a lot of fun anyhow.

Use all the layers you need, the way you need. Some work in one layer only. Some sketch on one layer and then paint on the other. Some work a layer per object. Some see the layers as dried up paint - using traditional painting methods back to front. Some use layers for tweaking, eg adding color or shadow to specific areas. Layers are a tool - use them, don't fear them.

The approach to painting is as varied as IRL. Most methods can be 'simulated'. Do it your way.

Mix media as pleased. A good oldfasiond piece of paper is still exelent for initial sketches - especially if you only paint with a mouse.

Reference pictures has been used at all time. See the old masters, how they used camera obscura et'al. Do it your way - it's the best way. If you want to draw from ref - do that. If you feel comfi doing straight traces - do this.

Most important - always be happy - DoodLS