ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: DivineComedy

DivineComedy

"Fecemi la Divina Potestate,
    la Somma Sapienza e il Primo Amore.
    Dianzi a me non fuor cose create,
    se non etterne ed io etterna duro!
    Lasciate ogni speranza o voi ch'entrate!"

more or less

"The Divine Power, the Supreme Wisdom and the the Original Love made me. Before me nothing else was created, unless eternal ones! Leave any hope You who enter!

I wish I could represent the "divine" description Dante made of God- Trinity , something leaving You breathless and almost tearing. The Paradise has the most sublime verses and sensations, but the Hell is usually the most attended part because of the strength of emotion and the sense of anguish it provokes to Your "The unbearable lightness of being" (not sure I translated well the book entitled in Italian "L'insostenibile leggerezza dell'essere")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danteandvirgiliushellsgate_133.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	7496  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Sorry

Sorry, I made a mistake. It was intended to go at the end of "songs, lyrics and poetry".

Oh don't worry, I was just listening to Dante on Itunes.
    Oh, my mistake, it was William Blake. I get those two confused.

Hail, Ceasar, wrote Virgil.

Nice painting. :-)

Clever expansion on the theme of lyrics. Divine Comedy's a real golden oldie. So, how you say, -- 'last millennium'.

The book has been historically very inspiring to artists. I particularly liked Dore's images.

And yours is moving into that line of artistic work. You definitely make The Inferno look quite menacing and I want to go along for your ride, but only for a quick look, then back out! Would not want to get stuck there.

By the way, if you ever accidentally post somewhere, you can just delete it and go back and post it where you want it. But only until somebody posts after you. Then you can erase the content, but the empty post will remain. . . and of course the reply.

Nice work though with the painting. Very classical.

Thank You

I wish to thank You although this very quick experiment is not exceptional.
    I painted this picture because I was sorry to realise that the Divine Comedy and Dante cannot be appreciated anymore because it's written in ancient Italian language and requires also an amount of knowledge of Middle Age culture, taste for metrics and word sounds, because it's as universal, as deep, as strong and sublime as the best Shakespeare (and we did have other great poets in Italy! A French poetry start such as the Pléiade was for example very much inspired by our Petrarca's verses). The problem for Dante to become really universal, like the Opera, was also due to the fact that it's not written for theatre, so far could hardly be represented in proper way on artistic media other than pale translations (apart from Doré illustrations). The importance of Dante was so great that many others wrote about the same theme, Milton included if I'm not wrong, but were sensibly short reaching the same height (the theme is eventually on one side the human condition and each one's doom, not a blind one, but actually following choices we make, on the other side the attempt to "see" God and the sublime landscapes we can hope to live inside and outside). OK enough!!