Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first crayon: Springflowers

Gallery
    View images

My first crayon: Springflowers

Still life painted by reference, during 1 moth, using my own photos. Contours were traced from photos the rest was painted using crayons and various techniques. A gift for my mum.

I decided to see how detailed I was able to paint using a large paper (56cm x 45cm @ 82 dpi). But I was a bit surprised/disappointed about the result. It's "too good". At large scale it looks painted (se detail above), but resized it looks too much like a photo. I must learn a more painterly technique. Anyone?

Happy strokes of
    DoodLS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    As promised - details with a painterly look. -DoodLS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Gorgeous.

Very special images since they are so much yours from beginning to end.

As to technique, painterly is good. But there's a lot to be said about crisp detailed paintings when the subject is so simple (for lack of a better word).

It's like the difference between a painterly version of a diamond and a crisp rendering of one.

Some subjects lend themselves better to detail.

If you had a more elaborate colorful painting, it might be better suited for painterly.

One approach to help you decide -- Ask yourself what is it about the image that makes you want to paint it. Is it the color, the fine detail, the contrast or what? Then a style might suggest itself.

Gallery
    View images
    I often run into the same problem doodles ... IN MY DREAMS!
    That's gorgeous.

Gallery
    View images
    sincerely, it's a good painting. Nice so see, nice to imitate !
    experience comes from bad judgements, good judgements come from experience (old wise indian proverb)

Gallery
    View images
    I'm knocked out Doodls...............your Mum should love it...........I do!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

Gallery
    View images
    Very nice. I can see an accurate rendering of the play of light and shadow. The flowers look striking in contrast to the background

Gallery
    View images
    There is nothing wrong with perfection in art. It looks like a really well painted piece to me, not a photograph at all. It is brilliant and extremely well done. Beautiful. I think it is good that it doesn't look like a photograph. It just looks like a perfect painting. The planter is so smooth and creamy in blending I can feel what it feels like. It is just beautiful and the flowers are amazing. And the lighting is excellent. The colors are perfect.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Doodls,

Very gorgeous painting. Are you using 2 layers? One is the background and the top layer is the flower? The close up one shows very well blending.

Gallery
    View images
    That is really beautiful.
    Visit my web gallery
    "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom"