ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question Regarding Layers. :)

1. Quick Question Regarding Layers. :)

I just finally got the full version of Art Rage 2 (WOOHOO!!), and I am wondering if there is a way to color underneath a layer, rather than over it? I am wanting to color underneath some line art. :)

Gallery
    View images
    Yup. Just make a new layer by going to the tools/layer options menu or click ctrl L (cmd L on mac). Then just drag that layer below the other using the layers pallette.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

3. Heyhey, thanks so much, Fashmir! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work .. :(
    I had to export an image that was the line art, and that was a JPG, and when I try to color underneath it, it doesn't show up at all. Dang ..

Gallery
    View images
    If you did the lineart on a transparent layer (either in ArtRage or another application such as Photoshop) export the layer as a .PNG or .PSD
    Those formats support transparency.

If it's a PSD, you can open that in ArtRage and have the transparency there. If it's a .PNG, then from the file menu, Import image. Then you can create a new layer in ArtRage, open the layer stack and drag the new layer beneath the original layer. Click on the new bottom layer to make sure it's current, then you can paint to your heart's content underneath. You can also edit the paper settings of the bottom layer to make it an opaque paper if you want. Or add more layers beneath and just have paper on the very bottom one.

Note: If you have another image editing program, you could mask out the white, or convert the lineart to a selection-set, and fill on another layer, before exporting it as a PNG or PSD. (Did that make any sense at all?)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

5. Hmm, no, I did not save it as a transparent layer, it seems.

I do have photoshop, but it proves to be quite a hassle for my little laptop to open.. Are there any other ways of doing what you mentioned?

Gallery
    View images
    Not within ArtRage, I'm afraid. We dont have selection tools and fill tools yet.

7. Thank you very much, Sweedie, but I already have the line art done in a different program. I just haven't been able to figure out how to color underneath it.

AndyRage - I got photoshop to work long enough to allow me to make the white around the line art transparent. Then I saved the file as a .psd AND .png, then tried opening both in Art Rage two separate times. It still seems to be registering the transparency as white, and I am unable to color underneath the line art on a separate layer after moving the new layer underneath it. Perhaps there might be a bug in my Art Rage program?

Gallery
    View images
    UndyingSong, would you be able to forward the .psd and .png to support@artrage.com, add a note saying they're for Andy to look at to see why they dont have transparency when imported into ArtRage.

Gallery
    View images
    UndyingSong,

Here is one thing you can try.

Create a new (blank) painting.
    Create an empty layer. This will be a transperent layer.
    Load the line art .png as a tracing image.
    Click on Edit Tracing Image and make the opacity 100%.
    Click Done.
    Click on the arrow next to edit tracing image and select Convert Tracing Image To Paint On This Layer.
    Turn off the tracing image (press t ).

There you should have it. Now you can add layer below this layer and paint.

If you import any image it gets on the canvas layer and thus you won't be able to get any transperency to it.

Hope this helps.

-kart

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Kart.
    Even if you import a transparent image as the first layer, you can still go into the paper-settings for the bottom layer and make set the opacity of the paper to 0%. Then you can add a new layer and drag it beneath if you like.
    Your suggestion also works well, and has the advantage that you can position and scale the tracing image to get it lined up to where you want before turning it into paint. In fact you can do that with several tracing images to make a collage if you like.