Thread: The 'new' Palette Knife...

Gallery
    View images

The 'new' Palette Knife...

Hi there

First off, contratulations on Artrage 2 and on the new forums which has been long sought after for a devoted user of Artrage as myself.

I'm very much enjoying the new features of AR2 - loving the new brushes, the zoom, layers and photoshop compability and not least the excellent rotate canvas functionality.

However one thing I noticed, is that the way the palette knife works now has changed over version 1 making the use of it quite different. In fact I might be so bold to state that it has become vastly inferior to the palette knife tool found in AR1.

I heard earlier from David (thanks for the nice responses, david) that the palette tool is considered to be updated, so to speak (which is lovely news to me) and I was merely wondering what the status was on this... ?

The last patch was more or less a bugfix and maybe the next would include some upgrades?

anyways, I hope to see this new place gain momentum soon, so that we will see some nice AR information and knowhow can be shared on this great paintprogram.

Gallery
    View images
    Argh! The Curse of the Palette Knife!

I'm the developer who wrote the palette knife tool. We've had quite a few comments relating to it.
    ArtRage 2 uses a completely different painting engine than ArtRage 1. We made it faster, more responsive, and higher quality. Because of that, all the tools had to be re-written from the ground up. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there aren't even two lines of source code the same between the painting tools and engine of ArtRage 1, and ArtRage 2.

The palette knife is a very touchy tool. Getting the balance between the amount of paint on the canvas mixing with the paint on the knife, applying some while still allowing adjusted pressure to cut into the thick tube of paint, is phenomenally difficult.
    Yes, I do agree the palette knife needs some more work. And it's right up there in my priority list!
    Thanks for your feedback.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there Andy

That sounds just about awesome!

I know very well the delicacy that is modern software and I truly understand the hurdles one has to overcome just to make all those little pieces of programlines work together the way one would like it to.

Maybe it would be an idea to have one palette knife that works like it does in AR2 and one that would be more in the way it did in AR1. That way you would keep both the new users happy (the ones that aren't accustumed to how things were) and most certainly also the old users.