Thread: Using ArtRage to enhance/plan physical media work

Gallery
    View images

Using ArtRage to enhance/plan physical media work

I haven't been doing much digital work lately because I've been on a graphite kick. I've been trying to improve my work that I do with pencil and so have been practicing with it.
    I discovered something that I can use ArtRage to help me with, though.
    I struggle with darks in my pencil sketches. I tend to be a little hesitant to go as dark as I need to because I'm afraid it will mess up my drawing beyond repair if I go too dark. So, I learned I can scan my work in and use ArtRage to push the darks to see how far I need to go before I transfer the concepts to my actual drawing. Using the pencil in ArtRage and drawing my changes on a new layer, I can see the before and after easily. And it blends nicely and doesn't look too much like two different forms of media.
    Here's an example of one of my current drawings that I'm working on:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Erica,

This is an excellent sketch. Should post in the Gallery. It's a good tips for scanning the original to AR and then enhanced it more. Do you scan it as JPG or PNG as different layer or just import as image?

But thanks for sharing with us.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, Pai.

I didn't post in gallery because it's only about 10% ArtRage work and the final result will be incorporated back into the actual pencil drawing. I'm glad you like it, though.

To answer your question, I scanned it in as a JPG. Then I imported the image into ArtRage as the base layer and added another layer on top to do my actual changes. That way my original drawing stayed intact and I could show/hide the changed layer to quickly preview the effect it had on my drawing.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the detail explanation. Looking at it again, it's very fine details of the fur and the eyes. I always admire people can draw and paint after joining this forum.

Gallery
    View images
    wonderful sketch!!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Marvellous work

Gallery
    View images
    This is a good and very useful tip. Thank you for sharing.

DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    Nice drawing.

What do you do to darken your drawing in the real world with graphite? The quality of line suggests that double striking your strokes would lose the clean line.

So would you just redraw it using a softer pencil and/or pressing harder?

It's been a long time since I've drawn for permanence, but I seem to recall that fixative will darken the graphite some too.

Keep up the great drawing. They're terrific.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you, Enchanter, Nika, and DoodLS for stopping by and commenting. I'm glad you liked it.

D Akey, I usually draw from light to dark anyway. So, in this particular case, most of the work was done with nothing softer than 3B. I used an 8B on the dark around the eyes that I knew was supposed to be black. So, to darken this drawing, I will use probably 6B - 8B pencils to add the darker values that should have been there to begin with. I'm relatively new to drawing with any serious intent (been at it a year or so), so I tend to be timid with those darker pencils. In this particular drawing, the fact that it's fur works in my favor and adding strokes will not harm the drawing much.
    Thanks so much for your comments.