ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sizing the brush

Gallery
    View images

Sizing the brush

Corel Photo-Paint has the BEST method for brush sizing I've ever seen. Instead of pressing a key (L & R arrow in AR or [ & ] in Photoshop and Painter), you simply press the Shift key, wherever you are on the canvas, and drag up or down to size the brush.

The advantages:

1. You NEVER have to move the pen away from the area of the screen you're painting on.

2. Since you don't have to move away, you size up/down the brush and see on screen against your artwork how big or small your brush is going to be.

3. There is never that delay in the key response (I set my keystroke responses in Control Panel to the fastest, and yet there is a delay depressing the L or R arrows or the square brackets.

4. Whether you're left handed or right handed, the shift key works fine. I'm right handed, so I find it rather annoying to cross over the keyboard with my left hand to reach for the arrows. Ergonomically it is uncomfortable.

I promise you, once you use that method of sizing brushes, you'll wonder how it is that not all paint/masking software use that system.

So how about it Rage Team?

Neda

Gallery
    View images
    adobe after effects' paint effects does this as well, and i agree, it is by far and away the best way to set brush size. what i can't figure out is why adobe would put it in after effects and not photoshop?
    if it's not fun, what's the point?

Gallery
    View images
    Right on! and I agree about Adobe. At work I have my Wacom slide button on the left set to brush resize. It's right where I rest my hand typically so it's convenient. But Shift sizing would be super.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Hype, I just learned from you that the AE brush is sizeable with the shift key!

Funny how I'm on this forum to share and learn with other users about AR, and yet I find little gems here and there about other software.

Gallery
    View images
    :lol:

i think it's actually the control key, or maybe alt. try all 3. its one of them.
    if it's not fun, what's the point?

Gallery
    View images
    Yeh, it is the Ctrl key in AE. I suppose either the Shift or the Ctrl key would do.

I've got my mouse set up so that each time I depress the Ctrl key it shows me where the pointer is. That means I prefer the shift key.

Gallery
    View images
    I was going to post the same suggestion!
    OpenCanvas uses it too, and it makes a BIG difference in workflow velocity.

Please Rage team, take this in consideration, it would be a great improvement!