Thread: BlueEyeAttempt

Gallery
    View images

BlueEyeAttempt

This is what I was able to do with normal paper size and almost on hour.
    Beyond palette blending it required a little bit of airspray to smooth transitions and a couple of layers to give homegeneous tone and make the blue eye look watery.
    I hope it decently reproduce the subject. Forgive the approximate circle contour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Caesar, You have gotten some very nice tones and shading in this piece. I have a few small comments, if you don't mind. First the eye lids look a little short to me. I think they should extend a little more to the left into the dark shaded area. The upper eyelid could be made to look a little fuller and rounder if you but a very faint hi-lite on the center of the bulge area (remember that an eye is a globe covered with skin - the eyelids). Also, the upper eyelid (and eye brow) has some thickness and will cast a shadow underneath itself across the eyeball.

Like I said, your work is great and these are just some small details that seem to need a little attention if you want to be truly realistic. Eyes are tough to do right.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images

Thank You

You are absolutely right!!
    I was wrong concentrating just on reproduction and not using a critical understanding of wghat I was looking at.
    Another lesson I learned is that is better enlarging canvas and pcture (this one is a very little size, if You want to have better details.
    Thank You very much

Gallery
    View images

Modified

Jvolkel, I hope I was able to undestand suggestions and introduce decently the envisaged corrections. Thank You again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, I think that the second one is definitely more realistic looking. I think that the biggest problem to overcome in painting is your brain. I read somewhere that people think that the brain stores images as symbols and not as photographs. It matches what you are looking to a shape or symbol that it has stored and then identifies the object. If we try to imagine an eye, for example, and draw it from memory it comes out like a little kids drawing of an eye. We have to really study the subject we want to paint, and then train our hands to make marks that look like what we are seeing, and not the symbol that our brains use. I think that the easiest way to do that is to break the subject down into little shapes and patterns of light and shadow and then put them all back together on the canvas. It makes sense, because the brain loves to work with shapes and symbols.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images

Thanks jvolkel

Dear jvolkel,
    I'm grateful to You for the suggestion and explanation!