ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: LCD monitor versus CRT

Gallery
    View images

LCD monitor versus CRT

Ok,
    question time.

How do I know that the colours and contrast and brightness of my picture will be what other viewers will be seeing on their monitor??

I know that in the past Ive painted some pictures and got some comments back that it was a dark picture( as in the tones that were used), even though when I painted it there was more light.

Ive got two pcs, and two LCD monitors , so i cant test it out on a CRT monitor.

ANyone got any suggestions?
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Ultimately, you can't really control how other people do or don't correct their monitors. Having said that, though, it is possible to calibrate your monitor through a variety of methods:

1. Buy and use a Huey -- this is a consumer grade calibration tool from Pantone that will help you get the most out of your monitor, LCD or CRT. They're like 90 bucks. I'd link but I'm not allowed yet.

2. Use your video card's calibration in concert with your monitor's calibration tools. You'll have to check your documentation. Double check your final calibration against some images on the net that help you see if you're discerning between the full range of lights and darks.

3. If you have Photoshop, you can use Adobe Gamma for calibration.

4. When you're finished with a piece, check it 10% lighter and 10% darker in an editing program like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro (or Paint. NET, The Gimp, etc.) This way you can get an idea of what uncalibrated versions of your piece look like. (It's also handy for finding weird stray brushmarks that aren't visible at normal brightness.)

I don't always assume that other people are making incorrect judgments about the brightness/darkness of my work, but if I'm only getting a couple of complaints then I assume they have an uncalibrated monitor. If EVERYONE is complaining I check to make sure my monitor hasn't lost its settings.

Keep in mind that newer LCDs have better contrast and color than older ones... sometimes when viewing work on the web on my ancient LCD I have to drag that window over to my CRT to see details.

Good luck!

Gallery
    View images
    E; I think there will always be a difference in what people are seeing: primarily due to different calibration of brightness and contrast. I think the huey Kiera mentions is the only correct way to go. I have never found any good online tools for display calibration, but www.displaycalibration.com just might be the place to start.

Worth a mention is that I have read that a PC's output display lighter than a Mac (something to do with gamma).
    Windows users who begin working with Macintosh computers often complain that the Mac display's colors look washed out. On the other hand, I've heard Mac users derisively refer to Windows' hues as "circus colors". - Dwight Silverman

Also I believe LCD/CRT are also very different in the way the picture is displayed. A CRT is a little more muddy with more color blend. A LCD is sharp as a razor and some of them extremely bright (it hurts my eyes, so I often have to turn down the light emission, resulting in a lower brightness).

Finally try to print your works of wonder. This again is a completely different story. The paper media is just terribly sooo not bright and (depending on printer quality) many of the minor color details are simply not visible.

Anyhow monitor calibration and the like is just so seriously boring. Lets get back to the happy
    DoodLS