Thread: Import/Open/Export/Save As....

Gallery
    View images

Import/Open/Export/Save As....

Can anyone tell me when I should 'Save As', 'Export', 'Open', 'Import'?
    They kinda seem to do the same thing and I just know I will end up losing a painting because I click the wrong one.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage files ( ptg files ) contain information that the other file formats don't, like paint wetness, thickness and so on. So when you're working in ArtRage, all you need to do is open your painting file via 'Open', and either 'Save' when you're done to overwrite your painting with the latest update, or 'Save As' if you'd like to save another copy of the painting using a different name ( It's always worthwhile keeping a backup copy of your work and saving relatively frequently, just for your safety in case you have a power cut, or a software / hardware problem )

'Export' is really for when you want to save a file in other format, 'Import' for when you want to open one. Say, for example, if you wanted to send someone an email to show them your painting. You'd export the painting as a jpg file ( nice and small format which everyone can view ) and send it off to them. Or if you wanted to use a holiday snap as a basis for a painting, you might import the file, then start your painting.

Basically, use open and save/save as to work with your ArtRage paintings, and export when you need to get the painting out to an image for other uses, import when you want to bring an image in for use in a painting.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if I can better clarify that.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    So Dave,

I think it is a great feature to be able to export to PS. Since this actually preserves the layers created in AR2, and sometimes allows some editing not possible in AR2. Also layer modes are so much faster in PS to see results.
    What would be the advantages of an export as PNG?

Question 2. How does the quality of a JPG saved inside AR2 compare with an exported as PS file that is then saved as a jpeg from PS?

It is my thinking that a PNG file is the most lossy? Is this true or false?

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you, Dave, that makes total sense. I appreciate your reply.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Gallery
    View images
    The PNG exported image is useful as another compressed format which doesn't use lossy compression, so you can use it for the web, to send to people, as a local image of a standard format viewable in a range of apps and so on. PNG files can tend to be a little larger than JPG files, although the image quality is higher for PNGs as JPG uses lossy compression.

The quality of a JPG from ArtRage is moderate, but it would be possible to export a higher quality JPG from Photoshop if you're choosing the higher quality end of the slider in Photoshop.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I have a related question;

psd's are lossless, aren't they?

Gallery
    View images
    PSDs are lossless, yes.
    On the plus side, they support layers.
    On the minus side they tend to be larger than PNGs, and few applications support PSD import.

Note that the ONLY format which supports all of the information ArtRage requires for project files is ArtRage Painting files (*.ptg)
    So even if you're using PSDs or PNGs to save your ArtRage paintings, you're are losing information relating to the thickness of paint, and other properties.

As a general rule of thumb...
    Keep a copy of all your paintings as ArtRage ptg files. You can always go back and work on them more.
    If you want to work with Photoshop, export as a PSD.
    If you want to post your picture to the web, export as JPG.
    If you want to keep a high-quality version of your picture for use in another application, export as PNG. (Note that PNGs also support alpha, if your other application can support it too).
    Other formats are supported in case the above formats aren't available in another application you use.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Dave.
    Thanks Andy.
    That was very clear, thorough and informative.
    Appreciate your answers.