Thread: Product Roadmap

Product Roadmap

In the announcement section, I dont see any new posts since 2021. Do we have a product roadmap for what features are in pipeline for desktop and mobile versions?

no, nothing like that is available for public viewing, but if previous release cycle is going to repeat more or less same way, we'll get a new version this year.

artrage team is very quiet until an official announcement arrives, but those are generally worth the wait.

Thanks. The reason I asked was there was much activity on social media platforms like youtube until 2 years back, not I dont see any new videos since almost 1 year +. Every person who was posting Artrage videos is now posting for Rebelle or other apps. Wanted to know the future if the developers still have interest in keeping this app alive

well, it is alive... just staying on the quiet side, as with every other release before that. there's really very little marketing for the app, very little fanfare.

rebelle had several releases since the last AR version, and did some heavily discounted sales (which AR team does too, but with less people sharing the news when they arrive), but I think at least a part of the reason why it's so quiet on the youtube front has to do with ai art.

artrage has always been a fairly niche product, and recent year and some haven't not been good for digital art creators. a lot of people left social media, or just have no energy to update anything anymore - interestingly enough, just this morning I've stumbled upon somebody already lamenting the era of old-school message boards for art sharing instead of the current social media.

you're always welcome to share your own art here, by the way, if you are using artrage.

I have the mobile version of ArtRage only, which is very limited specially not able to add any custom brushes to get desired effect. I started this thread as I wanted to know what is planned in future for mobile as well as for desktop versions.

I don’t want to invest in desktop version currently as the other programs have gone far ahead in terms of customization and functionality. I see a lot of artists who were with ArtRage have moved on to latest versions of competion.

I don't know much of what goes behind the scenes, but typically, you get a major desktop release, and about a year later you get a mobile version upgrade, big or small.
    the AR vitae mobile app is new, and it arrived in 2021 - roughly 6 months before the current latest desktop version. it's updated at least once a year. the app team works on the desktop features.

I don't use iOs portables because my average canvas size inside artrage hits outside of what mobile devices do, I hate the windows tablet experience (and wacom portables are priced way outside of what I can freely afford), and I rely heavily on the custom brush tool which isn't available on iOs, but for example, the palette knife tilt lock you're asking about in the other thread is readily available on desktop.

I won't comment on the other artists and what they use for their work, but I don't see myself retiring this product.

I personally do less digital work these days, and my art supply shopping list since covid lockdown has been doubling on average every year, so at some point it will be either a complete shift away from cg art from me because zero skill & zero morals nerds finally managed to ruin this scene for creators, or it will be more of same artrage work as long as I can use the app, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ifotomagic View Post
    I don’t want to invest in desktop version currently as the other programs have gone far ahead in terms of customization and functionality. I see a lot of artists who were with ArtRage have moved on to latest versions of competion.
    The Pros & Cons of investing in any painting app over another are as varied as there are artists using them. It really comes down to what actually suits the needs of the individual artist.

To help decide though, there is a demo version of AR6 for Desktop you can try, to see if AR Vitae might fulfill your particular needs.
    It can be found here: https://www.artrage.com/demos/
    Whilst it dose not contain all that is now found in the latest Vitae version, all the main elements and tools of AR Vitae can still be found in it.
    This page link lists some of what has been added to AR6 to make the current ARV: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...t-announcement
    AR’s roots have always been in mimicking how you might paint with real world media. As such I think it has always proved popular with traditional artist crossing over to the digital world, as a lot of their past workflows can be readily adapted to it, making for a much shallower digital learning curve.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks Mark. I can understand your point of view.

I am more of a mobile person and that is the only reason I got attracted to AR. Unfortunately, some of the basic features like importing custom brushes or palette knife lock makes it hard to get any desired results. I may need to wait till AR updates the mobile version or any other good app comes with mobile version.

Appreciate your thoughts and all the best to you and AR staff.

Unfortunately, some of the basic features like importing custom brushes or palette knife lock makes it hard to get any desired results. I may need to wait till AR updates the mobile version or any other good app comes with mobile version.
    I agree that another app might be a better choice in your case. ArtRage came to mobile devices decade and some later after the desktop version, after the core user base has been already established, and most of us are looking for the exact thing it does best - a real thick paint simulation.

there're several constraints that mobile applications still have that prevent features from being ported identically.

for example, real color blending - a feature present at least in artrage 4, four desktop versions back, could only be implemented in the 2021 artrage mobile build.
    there's a very hard memory cap that makes porting certain features outright impossible, and there's also the general mobile stability issue - which is why for example you can't work with complex selections in tablet apps.

artrage has a mobile app that gives both affordable and realistic oil paint tools at the price of approximately 1 tube of student grade paint, but if you're looking for sleek CG look in your work, it's just not the intention of this particular app in the first place.

In the announcement section, I dont see any new posts since 2021. Do we have a product roadmap for what features are in pipeline for desktop and mobile versions?
    I just receved today an ad for ArtRage on my Facebook feed. I have version 6 and the Android version.