Thread: Is there a tool/way to sharpen/crispen/clarify/smooth/enhace blurry/pixelated images?

Question Is there a tool/way to sharpen/crispen/clarify/smooth/enhace blurry/pixelated images?

In cases where an image is resized to be larger, it becomes blurry or pixelated-looking.
    Is there a way to get it looking nice and neat within ArtRage - such as the opposite of the blur/smear tool?
    There are AI programs that can sharpen images, but I'd rather do it within Artrage if possible.
    What are some things I could try (other than refraining from enlarging small images)?
    Thank you.

Hello a.genctur and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Unfortunately not, as although AR has some very limited image editing abilities, it’s primary focus has always been on creating new works rather than editing existing images.
    With that in mind it is always important to think carefully about how large a canvas one set’s up in AR before committing paint to canvas, especially if one intends to print the work later.

As you are no doubt aware, there exists now a vast array of sharpening & enlarging software options out there! But as it’s not a task I perform very often I would hesitate to recommend one over another here.
    But others here may be able to recommend some perhaps...
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hello a.genctur, I have this sharpen filtre installed on my ARVitae. https://richardrosenman.com/shop/highpass-sharpen/ Just download to your filtres folder. If you happen to have AR6 there are a few more filters that will work including a Redfield sharpen filter https://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterSharplet.htm It could possibly work on
    even older versions.

June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Good call June!
    I had totally forgotten about running third party filters in AR!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

5. Hello! Here are a few other filters you can try in ArtRage:

Unsharp Mask: It's a common filter that enhances the sharpness of edges and details in an image.
    Topaz Sharpen AI: This is a separate software that uses artificial intelligence to improve the sharpness and detail of images. You can process your image in Topaz Sharpen AI and then import it back into ArtRage.