Thread: Installing Artrage 6.1 onto new computer

Installing Artrage 6.1 onto new computer

Hi everyone
    I cannot seem to find an answer to this so maybe someone can help. I need to get a new laptop and will have to download Artrage 6.1 again. Is it possible to transfer all my stickers/stencils etc from old lappy to new lappy simply by copying into USB drive and pasting into new downloaded version of Artrage?
    Will it work like that as I do not want to lose all the work I have meticulously saved over the past year.
    Thank you for any help you can throw my way.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

hi,

yes, it is possible to back up and restore all of your custom art materials in artrage.

I'm not sure what OS you're on, but assuming your current machine is still working and accessible, and you can run artrage at this time -

you can access the content folder by going to "tools" -> "browse content folder" -> "root contents folder". it will take you from artrage to windows explorer or mac finder, and you'll be able to duplicate it on your usb drive, or put it in the cloud.

when you create a back-up of this folder, just replace the content folder on the new laptop once you've installed artrage there and registered your serial number again. you should now have all your custom tools and settings plugged in and ready to work again.

you can technically back-up just stencils or just stickers or just brush presets selectively, but all of them are stored as the sub-folders of the content folder, so keeping that one preserved will cover all the customizations you've collected or created yourself.

Oh thank you so much for that!
    One less thing to worry about when I change laptops. Yes, my old laptop is still working and everything is backed up onto a usb drive.
    I can stop panicking now!!

One more thing, if you can answer this...I notice Artrage is a 64bit program. Can I run it, successfully, on a non 64bit laptop? Not certain what difference it would make.

I am very grateful for your prompt reply.
    Last edited by ginahobbit; 04-14-2023 at 12:24 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by ginahobbit View Post
    I notice Artrage is a 64bit program. Can I run it, successfully, on a non 64bit laptop? Not certain what difference it would make.

I am very grateful for your prompt reply.
    no worries!

I'm afraid I can't answer if there's a 32 bit version for artrage 6 anymore, there're no official system requirements I see anywhere, and I am afraid that the last 32 bit version of artrage might be artrage 4.5, that was released many years ago at this point.

if your current laptop can run artrage 6, it is a 64 bit one. any other laptop model released over past 10+ years would be as well, they tend not to specify this anymore for the most part.

Oh thank for that.
    I notice that some do specify, I will have to investigate before I buy.
    I am very grateful for your help

If I remember correctly, at least on Macs, AR was 32bit until v4.5 when it became a binary with both 32bit & 64bit.
    And as of AR6 is just 64bit.
    Unless you have some pressing need to run AR3 or lower and/or other 32bit apps then I would be looking at getting a 64bit capable replacement laptop.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram