Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about tools you use for inspiration

Question Curious about tools you use for inspiration

Has anyone here been finding creative inspiration in artificial intelligence art tools like ChatGPT? What interesting experiences have you had?

have you considered your local library? I generally find more inspiration in printed books than on the internet.

I also like pinterest and having a curated twitter feed.

Yes I agree, there is really little need for high-tech sources of inspiration.

1.Walk and take photos, particularly in boring g places because it makes you look. I commented to my drawing teacher that something was unexpectedly beautiful and she replied that after I'd been drawing for a while everything would be beautiful. She is right!

2. Look out of the window. Seriously! Just drag up a chair and look out the window for as long as you can stand it! Sketch. Make notes. Etc.

3. Go to the library as suggested or museum or art gallery. Get books or magazines with images by artists you like (or don't!!) rather than 'how-to' books.

4. As a last resort, watch you tube! There must be thousands of videos on art.

Brett
    Kia whakatōmuri te haere whakamua (“I walk backwards into the future with my eyes fixed on my past”).

Tech stuff: 24" iMac M1: Wacom Intuos Pro L: iPad Pro 12.9"

I have had a play with some of these AI art bots but only to see what they can do. I imagine they could be useful in collating ideas for fantasy or abstract art but none of the images generated for me were appealing. Perhaps I wasn't descriptive enough for the bot as I did see some examples which were bordering on ethereal. I tried some of these - DALL-E, Midjourney, Stable Diffusion, Photosonic.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Artificial intelligence is able to generate interesting pictures and it does it quite well. It's hard to imagine how he does it, but he takes into account many details that not all amateur artists know. Even though it looks too "digital", it's only a matter of settings or time to get a result that looks much more like the real painting.

Last edited by cinematik; 03-26-2023 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematik View Post
    It's hard to imagine how he does it, but he takes into account many details that not all amateur artists know.
    yeah because they're trained on stolen professional artwork, from people who have long established their own technique and style, and have a fair amount of observational painting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    yeah because they're trained
    Well, what is available for observation is available and for training. If it concerns humans, then even more so for AI. Only what people need years to do, for AI it is only a matter of its computing power. This process will only accelerate with the advent of quantum computers. The world is not what it used to be. AI writes poetry, draws pictures, solves problems and most likely in the near future we will see what we saw only in the movies. It is possible that one day in ArtRage there will be a button "draw beautifully"

Only what people need years to do, for AI it is only a matter of its computing power.
    yeah, it's also a matter of finding someone who will fund the computer power and the technological research.

I imagine the entire premise behind AI art is entirely philanthropical.

The world is not what it used to be.
    particularly that little part that concerns copyright protection and authorship & ownership boundaries in regards to living and dead digital artists.

It is possible that one day in ArtRage there will be a button "draw beautifully"
    it's already there. launch artrage and get to drawing.

It is possible that one day in ArtRage there will be a button "draw beautifully"
    That's an interesting vision. But could the result be art? And who would be the artist? And what would be the next step? Will it be - after the artist was substituted by the AI - that also the recipient will be substituted by AI? What would this "Art" communicate? Would AI be able to create e.G. art that is criticizing social inequity? I'm sure that AI will be able to analyze circumstances. And I don't doubt about that AI can create nice looking images. But could that really be art? Would there be any relevant benefit beyond a fancy and dazzling surface? Who will be the owner of the intellectual property, the Copyright? And finally, could "draw beautifully" be judged from an objective point of view?

I have had a little play around with stable diffusion in playground AI by passing in some of my own ArtRage art as a starting point and letting it generate variations in different styles to give me an idea of how far I can potentially push a piece. I have collated some of my experiments on my web site : https://www.art.dyerdwelling.family/art--ai/